My Cafe build.

durgam_K

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
At first, I wanted to do a unique cafe build, in which i could stil ride 2 up, and still have the distinct cafe feel. With a Thruxton style cowl, covering a rear seat. After messing with different ideas, and options, i ditched that plan. So now im going full on Cafe'. The works!! No more messing around. Im looking to build a 'streetable' race bike, under 375lbs. Awesome handling, little better than stock power, and even more fun. My donor motor is an 81 unit, with low compression on one cylinder. My frame is a 72 roller that i picked up from Mid Ohio last July.
Heres how it came back home with me in July.
Vacation146.jpg

I quickly got to work...
TigersBanquet013.jpg

First mock up idea.....:banghead:
XScafefull.jpg
This point is where i had a chang of heart. I wasnt happy with the proportions, and overall feel. So, back to square one. So i slapped the motor for visual, and set my Katana front end in there loosly. Much closer to my new goal.:thumbsup:
TigersBanquet026.jpg

Ninja 250 swingarm in place!!!
Phonestuff031.jpg

Hey looking good. How long is the ninja swing arm axle to pivot? is it the same width as the XS frame mounts? Aluminum or steel? Weight? Inquiring minds and all.

+4 inches on the length....Steel construction....slight weight reduction, once the mono shock bracketry is cut off. And pretty easy fit. Machine 3mm off each pivot tube, and 6mm off the inner pivot tube spacer. Re-use sock swingarm bolt, needle bearings, and pivot tube end washer/spacers. Much easier than anticipated. Readily available, and super chaep. 98-07 models.

:) Thanks :thumbsup:

Trying to find the right swing arm, for custom frame this looks close!

I think its a great fit, but i have access to more tools, than others.

I was looking for something in a moder twin, like this or a GS500. My friend bought a 250 ninja to shoehorn an RD400 motor into. So I measured up his swingarm, and found it to be a good match. Minimal work involved. It would be great for a mono shock too!
That may be my next project.lol

Liking it - keep up the good work. Tell us more about the Kat front end and how it fits. What's your paln for the rear wheel?

Good call on the tank!! Its from a CB350 four. I like the knee cutouts, and size is just right. I think its 3.5 gallons??? Just enough to get me around 120 miles per fill up.
Im running this rear Katana wheel.
100_0996.jpg

It will get blasted, and powdered/painted.

Im in the process of making a new upper triple clamp, that will house my Aftermarket MikesXS Gagues.
KatanaUpper.jpg

I got a new seat TOO. From Brother Jerm!:thumbsup:
100_0994.jpg

Yeah, I have seen those. There nice, but i want to build everything I can, not for money reasons, just to say I did. And a triple calmp isnt very complicated. Just 2D, with some tight tolerance holes. Easy-peezey.

AS far as the Katana front goes...Ist not cut and dry. The easiest option is to use the stock neck, and make a spacer for under the lower clamp bearing. The neck is pretty long. But visually, this spaces out the trees, and looks funny. Look close at the neck area in the pic with the katana front on the bike.

So what im doing, is using the stock neck from a 35mm set of trees, and either trasplanting it in the Katana lower. Or making a new lower as well, for that neck.

Im making a new upper anyways. It can be done without making a new upper, and the stock Katana upper has a bolt on plate with clip on bar mounts, which would be real comfortable. But I want the bars lower, So im running clip ons, and a new upper.

new goodies!! We have a local shop that deals in used and salvage bikes as good runners. And they have a ton of useable parts. So i traded hime some aluminum bits for a wheel for my project bike.
100_0996.jpg

And i got new progressive series 14 shocks from Tucker rockey. Sweet!:thumbsup:
100_0997.jpg

Back