My Chopper completed but with issues! Pictures!

remainincognito

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here is my 75' xs650. Finally complete but still not road worthy. Has Pamco igniton,brand new rotor from TCbros,DNA risers and springer -2,TCbros hardtail,21" Harley front and stock 18" rear,oil cooler,Joe wise guy pipes and 2 into 1 intake.

Bike starts right up but revs high after hitting throttle and doesn't want to come back down. I've checked intake at engine for leaks. Carb is set up correctly for intake. Brand new rotor and brushes. Do I need to re time it? Can it be a valving issue?

kckp69.jpg
[/IMG]
inxxc8.jpg
[/IMG]

Check out this video to see if your advance unit is hanging:

It should snap back like that. If it is hanging advanced, then that will cause high idle hover.

My old man says it sounds like an intake leak, spray some starting fluid around all your joints and see if it speeds up, if it does then you got a leak.

with that uphill intake path a high fuel level or leaky float valve could cause the revving.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike.

Now I tried the other carb and it still idles high. How much of a gap should be showing on the air filter side of carb and how much of a gap should be showing on the intake side of carb?

Also: Still not charging!! New rotor..new green monster coil....new brushes and pamco ignition. About ready to give up and let it go.

Last edited:
Do you have the air jet completely removed? That's what I had to do on my wiseguys intake.
Your bike looks fantastic. Great job

How's that throttle cable routed? If there's a kink it could cause it the cable inside to hang up on the sleeve. Have you tried running it with just the cable hanging out in the breeze?

I just found out that it runs great with the choke on....but when the choke is off it burps when I hit the throttle and wants to die then revs really high. Bigger main? Got a 200 in now.

Upped the pilot to a 35 and it cured the problem. Now onto the charging system. There still is hope I may ride.

Back