My first build and first XS650

Sick lookin build so far! I like how the front wheel came out. I'd like to do stainless spoke with a powdercoated hub and rim eventually.

Sick lookin build so far! I like how the front wheel came out. I'd like to do stainless spoke with a powdercoated hub and rim eventually.

Thanks. I think it is a good look.

On another note, my engine coat came out well. I am gathering the extra bolts and such my stainless kit did not come with so I can start putting it together. :thumbsup:

Her it is, partway. I have to find the values to torque these stainless fasteners at. I think the 6mm are around 8 ft lbs. I did them to 10, so I will retorque when I get on it again.

2012-02-26151315.jpg

Subscribed! I recognize the pics from the chain tensioner thread. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. I just found out yesterday that my brother bought a southbend lathe last year dirt cheap with a ton of tooling for just about anything. Hoe doesn't know how to use it but we are going to grab it out of storage (he'll buy anything for the right price even if he has nowhere to put it) and set it up in my garage and see what we can turn out. Hoping to do some pegs for forwards, replace neck bushings, make spring mounts, and anything else I can think of. Nice work!

Nice work, mon... did you p'coat the engine cases too?

I like the Airspeed indicator idea, make sure you know exactly what Vr is though...!! :laugh:

Nice work, mon... did you p'coat the engine cases too?

The cases are satin black ceramic coat with almond texture and high gloss clear powder on all the covers.

I like the Airspeed indicator idea, make sure you know exactly what Vr is though...!! :laugh:

Although I know that was a joke, I sure do not know what Vr means, so screw it and I'll drive till the cops get me. :bike:

Love the cream color against the black

It will be the only color besides, the stainless, on the engine.

Subscribed! I recognize the pics from the chain tensioner thread. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. I just found out yesterday that my brother bought a southbend lathe last year dirt cheap with a ton of tooling for just about anything. Hoe doesn't know how to use it but we are going to grab it out of storage (he'll buy anything for the right price even if he has nowhere to put it) and set it up in my garage and see what we can turn out. Hoping to do some pegs for forwards, replace neck bushings, make spring mounts, and anything else I can think of. Nice work!

Yeah, I just bought a cheap-o harbor freight model, that is sold by about 5 different companies, and went to work. It works well for the stuff I do.

Was that a satin black you did the case with ?

THOSE RIMS ROCK !!!!!

The cases are satin black ceramic coat. And The rims are a texture black with stainless spokes. The caliper is a slight variation of the synergy green the new camaro's are in, as will be the seat pan, tank and rear fender to round things off. The frame, bars, fake oil tank and brackets will be a copper orange translucent with high polish chrome powder underneath, and the brackets will be the texture powder to tie in the front wheels with the rear. At least those are my plans for now.

Vr... yeah, it is a joke... I figured that, you being from Kansas (home of Cessna, Boeing, McDonnell Douglas etc) and you having an airspeed indicator in knots, you were a fly-boy type!

V-sub-r is the Velocity of Rotation: the airspeed at which an airplane is going fast enough to "rotate", or put its nose up to fly when heading down the runway....a number which is VERY important to a pilot!

:bike:

Vr... yeah, it is a joke... I figured that, you being from Kansas (home of Cessna, Boeing, McDonnell Douglas etc) and you having an airspeed indicator in knots, you were a fly-boy type!

V-sub-r is the Velocity of Rotation: the airspeed at which an airplane is going fast enough to "rotate", or put its nose up to fly when heading down the runway....a number which is VERY important to a pilot!

:bike:

I work with electricity, the planes just fly overhead. :laugh: But now I know better! :thumbsup:

Finally got my cam chain issue solved. What a pain in the arse, but also a good learning experience. Big thanks to Mid America Powersports In Wichita for their help. :thumbsup:

On another note, I got my tank the other day and just mocked it in place. I was gonna wait to buy it, but found a great deal on eBay for the exact new tank I wanted plus a new gas cap. $102 shipped. Man you can't beat that! :D I guess the seller wanted to go a different rout.

I also sat on the bike and made a bunch of vroom vroom noises. Man, this thing needs to be done! :bike:

2012-03-08170057.jpg

2012-03-08170035.jpg

2012-03-08170044.jpg

Not too much done lately. Housework first, I guess. But I did get my headlight mounted. It is a 5 3/4" bates style light with a visor. But it has five wires. I am going to figure out which is the Gish beam and only use that one. I am sure the green is ground. There is a blue, yellow and black, also. And I think another color. Maybe brown.

2012-04-01173758.jpg

2012-04-01173809.jpg

Still in the fab process. I will take it apart before I coat the light. Brown? I guess that would be new for me. I figured the green or black.

I mounted one of my brake light switches to my pivot tonight. I chose to do it this way, but I am not happy with it. So it will be cut off and mounted the way I had first decided. Between the frame and connecting rod. I think it will blend in better.

2012-04-18204611.jpg

I got my fender and am starting the install. Starting to look like a bike! On another note, I actually cut off about 6 inches of the fender to get my fit. Thanks, 7 Metals West. Great item.

2012-06-15180856.jpg

2012-06-15181008.jpg

2012-06-15180956.jpg

2012-06-16190640.jpg

2012-06-16190628.jpg

2012-06-15180847.jpg

Back