My First Project

Between the cylinders at the back?

TensionerID.jpg

Well my results from pulling the heads off completely are not good.. I looked at the inside of the heads and found that both valves were missing. The cylinder was full of mouse crap, I removed that to find both of the valves. One stuck in the piston, the other sitting on the piston rod and a big hole in the top of the piston.

Attachments

• 115_0104.jpg
    115_0104.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 115_0106.jpg
    115_0106.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 115_0108.jpg
    115_0108.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 115_0107.jpg
    115_0107.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 115_0109.jpg
    115_0109.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 115_0110.jpg
    115_0110.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 181
I have seen worse rebuilt, but........ For my money if you REALLY want this to be your bike start looking for a "parts bike" with a good engine. That is beyond economic repair.

Yeah I think that is the plan. I really don't have the time, money, or experience to dive quite that deep into this yet...

While I'm waiting/deciding what to do about the motor, I guess I can start working in other aspects of the bike. I can get the tank, side covers and fender painted, as well as work on the front brakes.

What is the best way to drain the tank? Also how do I know if the inside is bad, everything that I can see just from opening the fuel door looks really good. I am sure the fuel in it is bad and I want to paint it, so I figured it would be easier with it being empty.

Yes empty it into a gas can. You can leave it on the bike for most of it. Close the petcock/fuel valve get a longer 1/4" hose and put it on so it will reach your gas can sitting on the floor (makes it easier if you have alot of gas in there) put hose in and turn valve on. Opening the gas cap helps speed things along too. After it stops you can then close the cap and petcock get the tank off the bike and the carefully do the same thing while holding and mauvering the tank to get all the gas out. Then you could leave it for a day with the cap open OUTSIDE to let the remaining fuel evaporate so you dont get any drips on your new paint.

ALL SAFETY WARNINGS APPLY!

I already have it off the bike, and there isn't much in it. What I read for removing the track was that the petcock could be left in the on position and fuel wouldn't flow without the bike running. So I did just that and no fuel had flowed from the tank with it in the on position.

Hey, I have some air boxes for sale if you need them. Let me know. They are off of an '80 as well.

Well today I picked up a motor from a 75 XS turns over, good compression. I also picked up some airboxes and a new rear fender. Unfortunately I don't know if I will get to work on it much this week or not.

I am pretty excited to get back into it though finally. My goal is to have it driving by the 19th of August(my birthday)

Before I just throw the motor in the bike and try to start it, is there anything I should do?

Also what all do I have to do to switch the points motor over to my electronic ignition?

I got the motor in the bike, after opening up the tappet covers and checking the valves etc make sure everything still looked good.. I forgot to mount the carbs on before tightening all the motor mount bolts.

So now I have to loosen those all back up and tilt the motor to put the carbs back on. Damn...

Was finally able to get the alternator rotor off my old motor and on to my new one. Need to go buy some plugs and figure out what else I need to do for the electronic ignition transition from points?

Back