My Kryponite

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Me and hardware stores are a dangerous combination. I like the ones that don’t sell nuts and screws in sealed plastic bags. I like the ones with walls of cabinets you have to rummage around in and pick your own stuff, throw everything in one bag and write the price on the outside yourself. It’s the honor system!
The trouble is, I can never JUST buy what I came there for.
Just now I got back from our local Ace hardware. I went there because I needed a couple 59cent screws. I found them and left after spending $40 :yikes:. Well I just had to buy that 6” metal vernier caliper, and a 6” metal ruler with fine measuring lines, and a new knife sharpening stone, and I made the mistake of taking my wife and she always finds stuff for the house.......and well , as I said Kryptonite! o_O

We have an outfit called "Mardens". It's a surplus and salvage place, they buy out the inventory of stores going out of business and such. Inventory changes daily, you literally never know what you might find.

They sell Grade 5 hardware by the pound. All sizes from 1/4-20 to 3/4-8 and lengths from 1/2 inch to 6 or more inches, plus washers, fender washers, lock washers, nylock nuts, wing nuts, etc. etc. etc. I have a set of bins I keep stocked. When I get low on one thing, I'll take inventory and stock up on anything that's below 50% stock.

They also have barrels of bulk chain in various sizes and grades, plus all the fittings that go with, slip hooks, snatch hooks, binders, logging chokers, etc.

Then there's the tools...

I go in there every time I'm in town and take a quick walk through the hardware/tool section. Lately I've been pretty good about coming out empty-handed, but that's more of an exception than a rule.

More Kryptonite.
I used to live in Wichita.
Aviation capital of the world.
And huge underground custom car clubs.

The Yard Store.
http://www.theyardwichita.com
https://www.yardstore.com

YardStore-2018-01.jpg

A 4 acre playground.
YardStore-2018-02.jpg

I never could get outta there in under 3 hours.
YardStore-2018-03.jpg YardStore-2018-04.jpg YardStore-2018-05.jpg YardStore-2018-06.jpg YardStore-2018-07.jpg

Too bad that Boeing surplus sales closed down 10 years ago.

Back in the mid '90's, I ordered a LOT of tools for my Aircraft Structures Repair course from "The Yard". The airplane in the overhead shot is supposed to be "THE" first aircraft the, then new, USAF bought. So it's the first Air Force 1.

Back