my new nightmare!!! HEELLLP!!!

ruination607

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys...
I'm Darrek, new to the Forums and the site, but an avid metric bobber/chopper lover, and have embarked on my first build. Unfortunately, every time I turn around it's something different that I'm running into walls with.

Here's some history. The motor is a 1977 Yamaha XS650, The frame (from what I have been told by the seller) is an old Sportster frame that was modded to fit the 650 motor. It has a raked dirt bike front end, and 21" front tire.

I bought forward controls from TC Bros., Shifter lever and Heim Joints from Dime City Cycles, and found an "oil tank" that was once an old gas tank on a garden tractor.

My friend and I have sanded the entire frame, tank, fenders, oil tank, etc down, and I have painted it a nice metal flake blue.

A few weeks ago I bought a new battery, new plugs, and simplified the wiring to clean all the birds nest of wires from the harness and stuff.

Here's the problem...
3 weeks ago, while testing a "starter" switch, we found out that the bike is wired for an electric start. (we'd assumed it was only kick start all this time). It immediately roared to life, and we could get it fired up by simply touching the two wires together. So we continued on, and rewired the headlight, brake and tail light and a running light that we custom installed into the oil tank with a 3 way on off on switch. And the starter on a momentary toggle switch. A week later when we went back to work on it, the battery was completely drained, and we could not get her to start by either the electric start or the kickstart. We diagnosed several elements in the wiring, and when messing with a ground she almost fired up again. But to no avail... so we tested for spark, and have none coming out of the plug wires...

Seeing that I'm still very new at this I hate to go out and buy new coils, condensor, shit like that if it's something simple that I just don't have the knowledge to look for. Like... am I just not grounded? Did something I took out of the harness have something to do with it? What are the things in the harness??? I know one is the starter relay... but what else is in there? When it comes to this shit, I'm LOST~!
:yikes:

think thats my main issue, or just the starting point to diagnose it? I found out today that things in the old harness we took off were the regulator/rectifier pieces, pretty much the cause of the battery dying?

Yes, without the regulator and rectifier the alternator won't work. Thus no charging. The charging system is the most important part of the XS650 electrical system. No charge = no run. Well it will run on a fully charged battery for a short time, just about long enough so you will be real tired pushing it home.
Leo

Yes they do, unless, as XSLeo said, you only want to run for a short time. Without the rectifier, the alternator will supply AC to the battery, which it can't "digest". And without the regulator, the voltage will soar, which also isn't good for the battery. Looks like you'll need to re-fit those pieces, and charge the battery before she'll run.

Back