My next restore project, CB750

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
Last spring we sold my wife's cb650. She really misses it, so for our anaversery I bought her a 1975 CB750. She remined me of the Simpsons episode where Homer bought Marge a bowling ball with his name on it. I assured her that she can make all the design choices.
EBayPic1.jpg

I am planning on a Pamco Ignition and usualy handleing upgrades. Other than that, she wants to keep it stock.

Cool bike! I have a 79 CB550 that I will Cafe over the winter. These DOHC4 are great bikes. Post up some pics when you get er done.

grepper,

Great bike. I have a '74 CB750 and love it.

cb750.jpg

Whatever you do, do not attempt to replace the stock air box with pods, like in the picture.(I installed the stock air box shortly after this picture was taken) Just not possible with those stock carbs. The rubber thingmes that connects the carbs to the air box are actually mini velocity stacks that open up in the airbox plenum chamber. Carbs are impossible to get tuned right with pods. You should also source some new OEM velocity stacks as well because the old ones are brittle and cause air leaks that by pass the velocity stack itself.

And, of course, you are going to love the PAMCO ignition. I have one on mine, of course, and a huge improvement over the stock points setup. (www.cb750ignition.com )You can use the stock coils with the PAMCO, but if you do, I would suggest replacing the spark plug caps as a minimum. Even with the stock coils, you will get 50% hotter spark, not because it is a PAMCO, but because it is an electronic ignition.

i agree with the pods thing. My 78 KZ50 is the same. Runs 10 times better with airbox...small rich blubber at 3500 rpm though....only while cruising and then getting on the gas though.. Pulls through from a stop just fine.

gorgeous sounding engine ....my favourite. just take a listen to these two cafe racers :thumbsup:

I've done some searches on eBay for parts, it's pretty daunting what's available. I've cruised sohc4.net and other sites, seems to be a lot of information out there. Seems like there are more parts, but the forums are less organized then this one.
Like I said, we had a cb650. I really like that bike and working on it too. After I redid the charging system (rebuilt stator and new Reg/Rec) and rebuilt the starter it was a very dependable bike. I hope my experience here is the same. I did a little research before buying one. The early SOHC's seem to be my favorite. I love that exhaust and there are so few out there with the stock exhaust. Back in the day I think the owners tossed them for 4 into 2's or 4 into 1's like Harley owners dump their stock mufflers today.
The seller said it had good compression, I have yet to check it myself. I hope so, I don’t want to rebuild the motor. At least not at first.
I was planning on keeping the air box. Carb tuning is an art I have yet to master, 4 carbs instead of just 2 and the complexity increases tremendously. I’m relieved they are not diaphragm (CV) carbs. Experience has taught me, once I start messing with non-stock air filters and exhaust, tuning can be even more mysterious.
It will probably end up looking a lot like yours Pete. Except the color of the tins. My wife liked the upright stock handle bars and the comfy foam grips. Plus I know she’ll want a wind fairing. She said she wants in Pink, I hope she’s messing with me. She’s one hell of a bluffer.

Back