My next Yamaha project

Given that there seems to be a pause in the action at this point, I'll take advantage of the opportunity to toss in a picture of my '86 1100 I once had.
It had a 1200 kit, Kerker exhaust, Corbin seat, about 150 hp, and a paint job by "Lenny" of Syracuse (RIP) who was the best pinstriper in Central New York. There is a biker ride every year in his honor.

FJ1200.jpg

Last edited:
For repairing plastic bits on your fairings you might try automotive body panel adhesive. I’ve used it many times to reinforce and stick together materials that can’t be repaired with other adhesives. I use this for structural repair then use more conventional materials for cosmetic repair.

Update! Some time away from the electrical mess was the cure. After I got all of the superfluous wiring removed, I've identified the two places where the PO, aka "the butcher", hacked into the wiring harness. Should be an ok fix. I'll get to that this weekend. It's looking better already. The box is full of the extra crap which I pulled off, and doesn't even include the stuff from an earlier photo. Crazy!
20231031_164843.jpg
20231031_164852.jpg
20231031_164902.jpg

Looking good! I guess the po wasn’t a very good mechanic. I’m sure you’ll get everything sorted out soon.

Thanks! Seems pretty bush league the way some things were done, but it is a fun project and I'll learning new motorcycle stuff, so that is always good. It also has an automatic chain oiler, which appears to work off of vacuum at the carb intake into head. I'll likely remove that too as it just seems messy. I'm sure some of you guys have experience with these? More of an '80s/'90s thing?
20231029_132937.jpg
20231029_132945.jpg
20231029_133013.jpg

I fixed all of the wiring harness issues yesterday and got the bike running again with fresh gas, just to ensure it will run. So glad I bought the parts bike, for many reasons. Its really nice to have an original example next to the one which the PO has altered, when I want to return most things to stock.
I've decided I am going to return the rear end to stock rear tire and brakes from the parts bike. Ill exchange the whole swing arm and service the linkages in the process. In fact, I'm going to use both stock wheels from the '89 parts bike on the '90. Next step is to do a valve check and carb clean, and then I'll replace the swingarm, etc. I now need to order some parts. Will check a Yamaha dealer here first although RPM in California is a great source, I have learned.
20231104_155706.jpg
20231104_151432.jpg

Thanks! Seems pretty bush league the way some things were done, but it is a fun project and I'll learning new motorcycle stuff, so that is always good. It also has an automatic chain oiler, which appears to work off of vacuum at the carb intake into head. I'll likely remove that too as it just seems messy. I'm sure some of you guys have experience with these? More of an '80s/'90s thing?View attachment 254457View attachment 254458View attachment 254459

My 69 cb750 has (had) an auto chain oiler. I think all the cb 750s had em but not sure. Either way, it may have made sense when chain oil was not that great, but it makes a huge mess. First think to do was block it off.

In early 69, they had a nice short tight chain guard, by mid 69 they had extended it 2 inches because so many people complained of chain oil getting flung up on them.

Looking good. Yes you are fortunate you were able to get the parts bike as a reference. You’ll save a ton of money swapping parts from bike to bike rather than searching for stuff on the forums or fleabay.

Agreed. I can't believe I was debating spending the $900.00 for the parts bike. Sometimes being a cheapskate is not a great idea! It is paying off big time and likely I'll be able to sell some items when I'm "finished", if I choose to.

Removed the rest of fairings on both FJs this afternoon. Next up is front wheel swap. I will inspect the forks while I am at it and drain and replace the fork fluid. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm if the PO put stiffer springs in the forks.
I haven't done a compression test yet. My tester only fits larger plug hold diameters so need to get that sorted. .
20231112_154137.jpg

Removed the rest of fairings on both FJs this afternoon. Next up is front wheel swap. I will inspect the forks while I am at it and drain and replace the fork fluid. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm if the PO put stiffer springs in the forks.
I haven't done a compression test yet. My tester only fits larger plug hold diameters so need to get that sorted. .
View attachment 255075
Nice, lucky you have the shop to do this in!

Make sure you leave the front fenders on during the swaps so that you remember which is the good colored one you're rebuilding. I know I'd get 9/10 of the way there and realize I was rebuilding the wrong one.
Sounds like something I would do! Will take that advice :)

Well that’s good. What’s up next? Rear suspension / swing arm?
Almost. I will be doing that after I exchange the front wheels and replace fork fluid. The parts bike is currently without its front wheel, on jack stands, and I need to go over the front wheel still - cleanup, bearings check etc. Likely spend some time after work this week on it and get that completed next weekend. Then onto rear suspension / swig arm.

Have you by chance come up with the Yamaha valve shim / bucket depressor tool ?
Those FJ’s are very fun to pop the valve cover off , plugs out, and manually turn that engine over watching, checking gaps, and trading out shims for adjustments.
Tank off , FJ’s are super cool to tune 🤩

Those FJ’s are very fun to pop the valve cover off , plugs out, and manually turn that engine over watching, checking gaps, and trading out shims for adjustments.
Motion Pro has the tool. I have one too!

I have not bought one yet. RPM in California sells them too. I'll check out the Motion Pro site. I like their stuff.

Back