My next Yamaha project

This thread is coming near the end as I finished the reassembly today, although we have all pretty much agreed that none of these bikes are ever "finished". I took these photos for the collector plate insurance (read inexpensive) application and hopefully will have some good news from them in about a month. Can't wait to ride it and have two ready to go Yamahas.
20240219_163804.jpg
20240219_163845.jpg
20240219_144720.jpg
20240219_144833.jpg

This thread is coming near the end as I finished the reassembly today, although we have all pretty much agreed that none of these bikes are ever "finished". I took these photos for the collector plate insurance (read inexpensive) application and hopefully will have some good news from them in about a month. Can't wait to ride it and have two ready to go Yamahas.
View attachment 262151View attachment 262152View attachment 262153View attachment 262154
Looks fantastic! Congratulations on a job well done, I’m sure it will ride as good as it looks! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

View attachment 262151View attachment 262152View attachment 262153View attachment 262154
Looks great!!

Fantastic job :heart::heart::heart::thumbsup:

Well, I was very fortunate that I received my collector plate quickly! Perhaps they're not as busy at the government insurance office for those applications when it is "winter". Here, just north of Seattle, its been around 2 to 4 C at night and warms up to about 7 during the day so people have been our riding motorcycles in the last week or so when it isn't raining. No rain today so I was able to bring the new Yamaha home from my work warehouse where I did the "rebuild".
This photo was taken at Sidney, BC, looking northeast. If I was turned about 70 degrees to the right I would be looking across the Haro Straight towards the San Juan Islands WA, USA.

I rode the bike about 55 km, and filled up with gas (first bike in a long time with a fuel guage - different for sure). It steers a lot more heavy than my TX650A, that is for sure. Is is over 550 lbs! I hadn't ridden an FJ in I think maybe 20 years, apart from the short short ride I did on this bike before I bought it. I rode on some sideroads up to about 60 kph for a while and eventually took the highway home for about 20 km up to about 120 kph at most. I can tell this bike likes to be north of 80 kph or 50 mph! What a difference to my other two bikes - so stoked!
20240302_140840.jpg

Cracking result Van. I'm pretty jealous of you!
Thanks very much. I am blessed to be able to have these bikes. My wife is tolerant and none of them are super expensive. Sometimes I think I would like a brand new motorcycle with the fancy computer display dash and ride modes etc, but that's not for me. The older I get (59 this summer) the more I like old stuff.

Just seen elsewhere.
"years ago when i had my fzr1000 found it annoying when going onto reserve no warning just engine stopping,tried many times to use electronics to acheive a warning light, finaly i found it. one 12v bulb on the dash one wire to switched positive i used front brake light switch the other wire to positive side of fuel pump. when pump turns off the positive terminal becomes negative and the the bulb lights up so you have got time to flick reserve switch before bike stops"
I think on the late ones Yamaha added an override switch instead of a reserve position so you could run the pump even when the fuel had tripped a low level shut off switch

Last edited:
Back