My petcocks, rebuild or replace? Pics included.

Exitaph

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just took apart my petcocks and they are in much worse condition than I thought they would be. I just bought the bike. I've never even seen pictures online of ones this bad.

My question for you much more experienced guys is should I even bother cleaning and rebuilding them? They seem quite rusted on the main opening on top and inside the chambers. And there was a nasty black compound built up inside. I'm all for cleaning them but I honestly don't know if they are to damaged or not. Kind of a newb here.

View all the pictures here:http://imgur.com/a/V2Gqy

rZU3dfV.jpg

They seem pretty solid to me. They didn't go anywhere when I tried to bend them. I guess ill clean them up good and see if there's any permanent damage under all this gunk.

I have a crack in one of my pipes, not a huge deal. Most of the time just run it on reserve anyway, have a pretty good idea of "how much gas is enough" sounds to get around. But I would rebuild them - half the cost of a new one and most any used one would likely need the same anyhow. A little leaking oil here and there is one thing but leaky petcocks,filters,float bowls etc.. is another.

That's not dirt it's preservative! Really that's a good thing for old parts, a coat of oil and dirt. The tube is almost always cracked. I have tried various solutions, a light wrap of thin copper wire and solder but then it can be hard to get back into the hole in the tank. No perfect fix yet.

On that petcock the only thing that's critical is the face of the selector knob, and that can almost always be polished to work just fine.

Back