My Second XS Build - Back to the Basics

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am onto my second build now and after hastily building my hardtail over the summer I decided that I wanted to document my second build a little better. So I figure I will keep track of it here.

A little background info:

I picked up my 81" special for $700 on CL over the summer. Has 11000 miles on it. The guy wanted $1200 for it, but it wasn't running and in pretty rough shape in terms of maintenance. I was confident in getting it running so I low balled him and he took it first offer :thumbsup: I think he accepted the price because he was walking out the door about to leave on a 2 month long vacation with his wife.....who may or may not have been lurking over his shoulder urging him to "just get rid of it." :bike:

So here it is on the day I brought her home. Hard to see from the pics but there was a decent amount of rust, oxidation and general road muck. The chain was stretched beyond survival, the back brakes were locked, the fronts had no pressure and she still didn't start, but over all it was a great foundation for a build.

full

The first night I spent getting it running, which was as simple as draining the carb bowls and tossing a new battery in it. I then went on over the next two weeks to begin to restore it back to its original luster. At this point I did not know whether I would be keeping the bike or doing a quick restore and then flipping it.

This was my progress after two weeks:

Rebuilt carbs, new chain, new brakes front and back, new levers, new blinkers, new headlight and fenders off my 77' build, some new paint on the pipes, engine, and side covers, and cleaned up the rims a bit.

Here's two weeks in:

full

And here's where the rest of my money goes....my little lady....I love everything in this picture.... :D

full

Anyway after this I "finished" up my hardtail build, which is still in progress lol.

I know it was a sin and if I could go back in time I would never have done it to such a beautiful stock bike, but here is what my other build started as and where its currently at (if you look in the background you can see my first bike a 1983 Honda Shadow VT500 that I ran into the back of an Audi A4 at 60MPH :shrug: but if it hadn't been for that crash i would have never had the money to buy the Radian that I got for $800 in wisconsin and flipped two weeks later for $2200 which allowed me to buy my XS.):

The Radian: Cool story with this bike. It sat in a Japanese bike museum for 10 years, then went to a lady who put less than 1500 miles on it in 8 years. I got it with 6000 miles on the clock.....it was an incredibly fun bike, but just too beautiful for me...I couldn't bring myself to mod it at all and I wanted to build lol.

full

Here's the first xs on the ride home from buying it:

full

Here it is a couple weeks later Wish I had stopped there and kept it a sweet little cafe with the option of stock at any time:

full

Here she is now:

full

I know....I know....:banghead:

Anyway it wasn't until a couple months ago that I started working on the second XS again.

Since the summer I have moved into a new garage with welders, pipe benders, a mill, a lathe, and plenty of other fun toys. It is amazing what the right space can do for inspirations and productivity.

Here's the new garage. Its a mess in this pic and still is but its getting there....slowly

full

*Anyway it's now 4:30 AM here in Minnesota so I will bring this thread up to date in the morning.

Looks good. Liked the red bike. Wish I could say the same about the chopper. I like fenders on my bikes. What's not to love in your garage. Pretty wife, nice bike and a Reddy heater. Now you can work on your unfinished custom. :thumbsup:

Alright guys so here's post number two to catch us all up, and I will need some input along the way on a tough decision.

So after getting her into the new garage the strip down began.

Me and a buddy spent a night pulling off some of the things we knew needed to come off, like the bars, the seat and some other items.

full

Here's my buddy Moe, he's been helping out with this build from time to time:

full

We then did some mock ups/played pretend for a while:

full

We finished the night when we finished the beer ha:

full

full

A couple days later we came back and set out hearts to grinding:

full

At this point some parts started coming in...My goal for this build however is to try and design and build everything in house. I am through 1/4 of my training to become a machinist and have a guy giving me 1 on 1 welding lessons in that garage so we'll see how it all turns out. I got handle bars from ebay and dedicated to a Cafe' build.....so I thought. I had some old air filters around from mikesxs so I threw those on.

full

At this point I knew the blinkers had to go. They are just to big and hideous for my liking sooooo off they came.

I fabbed up my own headlight mount, which is functional but not quite as solid as I would like right now. Pulled the battery box and stripped the back end of all nonsense. I wanted to keep the stock headlight for this build, I really like how they look for some reason.

And this is how she sits now. New bars, new grips and ready for a makeover. The fun hasn't even started yet.

full

Next I will try and design a joint seat pan/battery box. Gonna go with the flat seat instead of a cafe cowl so I can still ride 2-up with the girl.

I spent an hour one day goofing off on solidworks and made these just for fun...but kind of like the color scheme

full

Now this is where my dilemma comes in... This last week my best friend (who is a load master on the new C130J's for the USAF) came home on leave for the holidays. He says "Hey show me your bike" referring to my bobber. I showed him, he took one look at it and said "how much to build me one?" I jokingly said "I don't know....$2000" and he jumped on the price. I then realized he was serious and told him I'd have to know what he wanted and what type of bike before I could give him a serious estimate. But I then showed him this bike and he said "Well what if I buy that one from you, and finance the entire build? I will be deploying in March and can set up a joint account you can pull funds from." I would normally have been all for it, however I went home and talked to the old lady about it and she instantly got this look of sadness in her eyes. When I asked her what was wrong she said "I don't like your new bike (the bobber) because I don't get to ride on back with you anymore....and I really like the pink helmet you bought me, but I don't ever get to wear it now." She really is a little girl at heart ha, but it always gets me when she says things like that.

So now I've been thinking about it and this is where I would like some input. My buddy wants a thrift shop brat build. Which means he wants it to be vintage, unique and incorporate unorthodox parts that one could find at an antique or thrift shop.

This is the bike he wants me to model after:

full

(Found this at www.motomucci.com Which if you haven't checked out and need some inspiration for your build.... or life, is quite an awesome little blog.)

Anyway i'm caught between brat for the buddy or cafe to keep. I will be building him a bike whether it be an XS or not either way, it is just a convenient set up right now since I have the bike ready to go.

Anyway thats where I'm at so far. I always love getting input so keep it coming.

And by the way she is not yet my wife.....although I hope maybe someday that will change :) Need some more money and some more time before I can commit to something like that.

Best wishes going forward, whichever way you go. Love that link - the motomucci blog. Great stuff on there!

Hi, Im liking the Cafe racer style. When ive finished my bobber build, Im going to do a cafe racer too.
A chap called ricco on her form france recently posted and the Cafe back end on his bike was, in my opinion stunning - heres the link the the manufacturer, but it also shows how to make it your self - http://hotrodmetal.blogspot.fr/

I enjoyed reading your story. Just one question - what do you regret about the hard-tail? It looks like a nice bike.
I'm just asking as I'm finishing up a hard-tail build so I'm pumped about mine!

I do not regret building the hardtail. I absolutely LOVE that bike and all the knowledge I gained in the process. What I regret is not reversing the builds and building the very nice stock 77' into a cafe that I could revert to stock if I wanted, and Chopping up the knarly 81'. It's hard to find stock classics in good condition so that's what I regret. My bobber is more comfortable, more fun to ride, and much cooler IMO than it was stock.

Back