My second XS650, an 83. Where is the ignition? Advance?

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Now now, the manual is on its way, but like any good XS fan I can't help but get started on this thing. I have a 77 XS that is all finished (YESSSS) and so I went to see if this 83 was running points or if there was a PAMCO or somehting. I take off the cover and discover....nothing! Then I look to the advance unit side...Nothing there either!

What happened between 77 and 83?

Anyway I was just curious as I spent a good bit of time getting my PAMCO and the advance unit all dialed on my 77. I am noticing a number of changes on this bike from my other one.

Thanks guys!

Pnedac

Also, I see that there is no speedo or tach, but the tach cable remains. Can I just take it out and cap it? If so what is good to use as a cap? If not, why not?

Thanks!:doh:

Like Tigman said, no points after 79. They went with a TCI which controls the advance electronicly. You can buy a Kit at Mikesxs that put the advance back in and you can use the pamco. I'm still running my TCI but only until it fails (30 year old electronics will eventually) then I'll switch to a Pamco. Regulator and rectifier are one solid state unit on the 80 and up bikes as well.

Mikes also sells a tach block off plug but any cap that fits should work.

Awesome! I appreciate the info guys. I will definitely look into the block off for the tach and I will just keep the ignition the same until it fails too. Don't fix it if it ain't broken! I do have a PAMCO that I installed on the 77 and I do like having it instead of the points, but it is only there because it was replace the points altogether or go for the PAMCO.

Thanks again!

@ hooktool- Thank you for the heads up. somehting tells me without removing that washer that things could get real ugly real quick. I guess I should replace that gasket while I am in there too huh? I know the answer is yes. That explains why the PO just left the cable sticking out and never did anything with it. Lazy PO. Ahhh gotta love it!

Thanks everyone.

Take a look in the TECH section (link at top) for some interesting reads on that TCI. Might not need to replace it with PAMCO if it fails...

(Not a knock on the PAMCO, I have owned and loved them. Just trying to save the cash when possible)

There's an old xsjohn method of changing the timing on the tci that ought to be put in the tech section. You just slot the upper screw hole if it isn't a slot already and rotate the pickup to change the timing. And if you have things that look like rivets holding the picup on, you can just slot them and just turn them like screws, in my experience.

If I got a buck for every time I heard that question on 1980 and later XS's. (Where's my points?!) I'd be able to finance my hambuger habit.

There's an old xsjohn method of changing the timing on the tci that ought to be put in the tech section. You just slot the upper screw hole if it isn't a slot already and rotate the pickup to change the timing. And if you have things that look like rivets holding the picup on, you can just slot them and just turn them like screws, in my experience.
XSJohn particularly stressed the importance of retarding the 15 degree factory static advance timing when changing sprockets to reduce engine rpm at road speed, for instance, changing the stock 34-tooth rear to a smaller number. If my memory and math are correct, his change recommendation was given in some fraction of an inch that equates closely to a 5 degree retard from the original 15. It works for me.

Back