My super stooopid trick of the week(clutch pushrod removal)

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Been trying to get the inside rod out for a couple of days.
No presure to git'r done. Figured I wasn't holding my mouth right so I fish some and if it doesn't come go to somethings else for abit.

Just wasn't having any luck with the pencil magnet.
Today the light bulb went on(or a flash from a short circuit).
I have one of those super duper rare earth magnets left.
And that puppy fits the small end of the outside rod really nice.
Epoxy it no, no time I'm excited
Run it in and pull, rotating to try to center it and break film tension of the oil(what I think was my stinking sticking problem).
Just about have it, it's right at the inside of the bushing yeah!
Pull the short rod out but it didn't come. Not only did the inside rod not come but the magnate isn't on the short rod. Triple damn! Put alittle light on it and sure nuff sitting centered as pretty as can be the magnet is on the inside rod. :banghead: :mad: :banghead: some more.

Time to leave for work so will continue the worrisome part and solution later.
In the meantime have a chuckle on me. :doh:

smooth, man.
you might have to take the right side cover off, remove the six crappy bolts that hold the pressure plate on, and remove the mushroom thing in the middle, and try from that end. consider a long screwdriver or a skinny stick.

angus that probably would have been the better way to go about it.
My first impulse was to push it off the center stand and tip it over and shake.
I fact I had grabbed the bars when another thought came to me.
I have the rear wheel off. :yikes: Whoa nelly that won't be good.
What I did was decide the old bushing wasn't helping and it was coming out anyway.
So I took a small piece of oiled newspaper and twisted it tight like a wic, then pushed it in around the hole to protect the oil passage that is just behind the seal.
The first bit didn't bite and I drilled almost to the other side. The 23/64 did bite about half way in and the bushing spun so it came out easy nuff. Unfortunately I didn't consider how super duper those rare earth magnets are. This is the worrisome part.
The magnet had pulled some of the chips in and it a nice bunch of metal on the magnet.
So now there is interference between the magnet and the end of the "fishing" rod.:shrug:
No problem get another pencil magnet only it isn't as strong and won't pull the shavings off nor will it contact enough to pull the damn thing out. SHEEIT:banghead:. Still it is right at the inside of the bushing so I grabbed the needle nose pliers. The one I had ground down to remove the snap ring in master cylinders. Only thing is that push rod hole is alot smaller than the hole in the master clinder and they can't open enough to grab the magnet. So I had to sit awhile and think. And it hurt. Hurt so bad I gave up the thinking part and just sat. Ahh another short in my gray matter circuits reminds of the wee little plier like thing in the electrical box. A small pair of surgical roachclips( I can't spell hemostats) I use to keep wires together when soldering so I don't burn my pinkies. Worked like a charm. I was able to grab the little magnet by the sides and it all pulled out. Magnet, rod and those damn metal chips.
So today I learned one of those small rare earth magnets on the end of the an old clutch pushrod makes a handy little reacher for lost things. If you glue it.....:laugh:
Time to move on to other more important things like what color should I paint my hand grips...:D
Ya'll have good day :bike:.

Love those little rare earth magnets! Keep a variety of small sizes and the sockets they fit in for all kinds of shop projects. But.....they get a really serious bite on iron, steel and each other. Can't tell you how many blood blisters I've gotten from letting two of them come together with a finger in the way.

roy

Back