my xs is going to break my leg!!!

jh282

XS650 Member
Reaction score
For what ever reason my bike likes to kick back on the first kick when cold. Doesn't matter if I prime or not, choke or not, sweet talk it or curse it, The fucker must atempt to destroy my leg on the first kick no matter what. After hurting me it'll start up in about 4 or 5 kicks. No issues when warm. Any clue on whats causing this? Bike is kick only.

Timing is dead on, new Pamco ignition, coil is up to par, charging system is A+

I love riding the bike, but my leg seriously can not take much more...

Here's what I do:
With ignition off, crank it over with the kick, feel the compression and let it get past top dead center. Switch on ignition. Kick it. If it doesn't start - repeat.
That should make it less likely to kick back...
Maybe this is not the right way to do it, but it's what I do.

Anyone else care to share their kickstart technique?

Check to see if your advance rod is returning freely. Petes web site has a good video on how the advance mechanism should snap back.

Yes get it on TDC with some gentle movement, then kick, following all the way through. Don't be timid! :cheers:

suck it up jh:laugh: with the xs firing order you're kicking over a mighty 325cc as only one cylinder fires at a time yes check advance rod but also carbs synced? mine has points and old coils and it's a one kick so you've got something going on wrong if you're getting kick back unless you're a 98 lb.'er

Mine's also prone to kick back when cold. I think it's because the thicker cold oil keeps it from spinning all the way through. I think if you kick it all the way down there's a gear that becomes disengaged at the end of the stroke so that it can't kick back. If you only kick part way it's still engaged.

It's more of a surprise than hurt. Except the first time it happened, when it slung my ankle into one of the nuts holding the exhaust on and cut a gash. And then theres the dreaded time-delay kick where it didn't start on the kick and then it kicks back a full second later....

I guess on bigger bikes you aren't supposed to straighten your leg in case it kicks, but I don't think it matters on one this size. I don't have the weight/strength to kick it while sitting down on it so I don't have much choice.

Last edited:
Yes, technique is a biggie one a 650. As Pawthrick said is a good method.
Thats how I kick start my 750 engine.

I just give it a kick or two and don't worry about what part of the cycle it is in. My my SR500 is a different story.

Pawthrick, I go about it the same way...

Yamaman, Advance unit is working fine, and I'm not timid about it. 150lbs of awesome man fury every time I kick that fucker.

Jayel, I've sucked it up for weeks. I'm sure my neighbors are tired of me cursing and limping up and down the driveway. Carbs are synced via diy manometer.

Xjwmx, It's been dropping to about 40F out here and I am running 50 weight, still doesn't make sense why it only happens on the first kick. After it hurts me, it'll start right up in a few kicks :wtf:

Anyhoo, a couple weeks ago I switched to iridium plugs. This morning I pulled them, they looked a little rich so I played with the mixture screws a bit. Now it's kicking back when I look for TDC :banghead: The original kick back seems to have subsided.

Point of no return man. If I eat meat now I'll puke and piss out of my ass for days...

but then you'd be at least able to ride your motorcycle, a few days punishment for a lifetime of enjoyment? I say yes...

So you guys know each other?

I does seem like there is something wrong with your bike. I don't have any kick back problems on my XS650s.

I can ride it fine. Just cold starting sucks. I dig animals. I have no interest in swallowing them and pooping them out.

You might want to change from the 50w oil to a 20w50 or even a 10w40 for the cooler seasons. It will kick over easier.

Now it's kicking back when I look for TDC :banghead: The original kick back seems to have subsided.

Then don't turn it on until you find tdc. When it gets below 60F consistently I use 15w-40 or else at nighttime temps when I kick it nothing moves :)

50w below 60 degrees is sludge, it will tear out the bottom filter screen unless you let it warm up awhile change it over to 10w 40

Back