My Yamaha XS 650--several

Jiles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have owned four XS650.
As a matter of fact, I bought the first one my dealer got in in 1969 or 70. Loved that XS and rode it many years until I bought the first 750 triple my dealer got in.
I have rode, repaired and sold many motorcycles over about 60 years and I have always loved Yamaha.
With an absence of owning and riding for a few years because of health problems, I decided to get a motorcycle to ride around neighborhood, and checked out quite a few.
I ended up buying a 1981 XS650 Special and was surprised at the power it had. Don't remember any of my other 650 having the power and torque this bike has.
Was there an increase in power output on later then when they first came out?

Last edited:
Actually no, it was decreased slightly. But your '81 has better slightly smaller carbs and smaller carbs produce better midrange power. The slightly smaller diameter 16" rear wheel also acts to gear the bike down slightly.

Also that special has a cdi ignition I believe, which is less fiddly, and it might be running very well.

Also that special has a cdi ignition I believe, which is less fiddly, and it might be running very well.

Back