Mystery Bolt

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Went out to my parking space, found this lying on the ground under my bike. Cannot, for the life of me, figure out where it may have dropped out of. Suppose it's possible it got kicked over there from someone/something else... any ideas?

Thanks!
Adam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 7.44.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 7.44.22 AM.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 7.44.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 7.44.35 AM.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 58
The slash markings on the bolt head would seem to indicate that is a hardened American bolt. Your bike is metric so chances are it didn't come from it, unless you have some aftermarket added accessories. It's possible they were installed using American nuts and bolts.

OK cool - it's pretty damn close to 10mm, I was thinking it just had a finer thread pitch than the 10mm nut I threaded it into. Thanks!

That's an SAE grade-8 5/16x18- 2" bolt. Very similar in diameter and length of the (2) 8mm bolts that go thru the frame for the top motor mount, and the (2) bolts that go thru the frame for the upper rear motor mount plates...

Last edited:
When I eyeballed the size, my first thought was motor mounts, but they were all there. I'm going to assume this was kicked over to my parking space by some other jerk in our apartment complex. The only place on my bike that I have English bolts is in my riserless handlebars.

Back