Sold / Found / Inactive - MYSTERY BOX: $40 SHIPPED CONUS

grizld1

Grumpy old man
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There's no mystery as to what's in the box: two 18x2.15 dog pee catcher OE aluminum rear rims, straight but with typical battle scars on the flanges, and a pair of blue 77 frame covers, straight with original but flawed paint and graphics and minor corrosion where you'd expect to find it.

Mystery One is the question of what happened when USPS attempted to deliver and some resident refused to accept the package. Our member wasn't present for the goat roping. He wasn't playing games, his check had already arrived. I tore it up and ate the shipping, couldn't take a guy's money when he'd gotten nothing for it. We agreed that we didn't want to repeat the exercise.

MysteryTwo: You're buying a pig in poke. You don't get to look till you open the box. Opening for the camera and repacking? Sorry, not gonna happen. If you need/want this stuff it's a fine deal, if you don't it's a waste. If nobody wants this it's also a waste of my space, and the whole shebang will go to Recycle Heaven.

Same terms: paper checks mailed accepted only, no reductions made down the line so don't wait for them, no trades or "offers" accepted, ad comes down in 10 days if no sale, and the rims and tins meet their demise.

Last edited:
I love the look of shouldered rims, but dogs do seem to have other uses for them. We used to employ foam strips (really) to keep mud from attaching too much - didn't put the dogs off though.

I know there's a mystery theme here, but can one presume "....pee catcher OE" means D.I.D. "Akront style" rims?

I'll buy them and the mystery box: perhaps a future semi-cafe "sleeper" build.......
A '76 750 Supersport is up next (17" Sun rims on that)

I thought the OEM wheels were 19 x 1.85 wide, all the ones I've seen are

Sold! Thanks, JP! You'll get this box first. Got the cotter pins out, still working on extracting the pins from the shift forks. Herr Pahl's method was a fail, got a couple of hex bits with epoxy on the tips in there setting up.

Oh hell, these are 18" rears, 19 and front is a typo, thanks for the catch RC4! JP, feel free to cancel the deal! Fixing now....

Confusion crept into my scattered brain partly because I've run an 18x2.15 rear with redrilled nipple seats on the front for a lot of years. I won't touch this keyboard ever again before I've had a second cup of coffee, I swear I won't!

Last edited:
Still will work (likely better) with a sleeper concept - already got a tracker & don't need 19" both ends. Not that it matters, but 18x2.15 rear and 19x1.85 front? Still buying....I just like the look

Different objective, but rear shown is a Borrani I rescued off Ebay, laced to a 305 Superhawk hub:

BOBR WHEELS.jpg

Thanks for your tolerance, JP. That's one pretty pair of wheels! BTW the 18x1.85 in the package is a rear as well, likely from a 400-class twin of unknown origin. Guzzi used rims with equal width and diameter F and R on some of their machines and might still for all I know, and most of those things can dance in spite of their weight. If I didn't like 18x2.15 F and R I'd have changed out the front rim long ago. Tires are 18/80/100 F and 18/90/110 R. Oh yeah, she'll dance. Modifying nipple seats for a different spoke angle isn't that hard, and you have a spare if, very improbably, you were to trash one. Told the Buchanan tech what I was doing and they nailed the custom order. Good folks.

Ditto on the Buchanan. Patrick & Angel had me send pics with measurements on the Superhawk hub (hillbilly you're doing what?). The front hub's off a '76 Goldwing - they had no questions. Both spoke sets were perfect - those guys are the best!

Back