Neck Lock Key Blank

Muckroot

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is there somewhere to buy parts for the neck lock mechanism? preferably a replacement lock and key set that drop in to the shank on the neck. If not, is there any way to service the stock lock? I have the lock body, but no key, and it'll have whatever pins/wafers it came with from the factory in it.

Yes, it can be serviced, or replaced, but you have to get it out of the neck to do that. To get it out, it has to be in the "open" or unlocked position. If you have no key then you'd have to "pick" it. Also, the cover that rotates over it has to be removed. That blocks part of it into the neck. It won't slide out with the cover still on. There should be a code number for the key it uses on the lock, but again, it would have to come out to read it .....

AwYo1kE.png

Once the cover is removed and the lock is turned to the "open" position, it will slide right out of the neck. To figure this all out, I actually had to cut one open off a parts bike. I cut it off the neck then split the housing open .....

T2626DB.png

UEbYm22.png

vbhzGv2.png

Even though you can still buy some of these locks new from Yamaha, the retail is near $80. That's why I went through all the trouble of learning how to work with them. I managed to scrounge several from my dealer's boneyard already. There were a couple different styles (well, sizes actually) used over the years. What year is your bike?

neck lock.jpg

I have a complete neck lock assembly for sale, as well as an additional tumbler assembly and key. One of the tumblers and keys is part of a complete lock set that I am parting out -- ignition lock, gas cap lock, and seat lock. Whether or not the other locks will work for you will depend on what direction you are going, however I saw your frame pic in another thread, and at the very least the seat lock will work for you. PM me for more info if interested.

As I mentioned, there were a couple different sizes of neck locks used. The early version had a slightly smaller body (about 12mm in diameter) and was used from '70 - '75. Both of the ones DogBunny has appear to be these early ones .....

OQ7wSXv.png

CghmURG.png

The later style had a larger body, about 16mm in diameter, and was used from '76-'79. The first 3 digits of this later part number changed over time, from "584" to "2A6" .....

S4yNeeH.png

7rUtBpk.png

EtKxYzg.png

If you have a '75 frame then I suppose it's possible you could have either style, Yamaha made mid-year changes sometimes. You'll need to determine what size lock you have and need before moving forward.

What year is your bike?
A 1975 XS-B, and I can pick locks well enough to get an old wafer lock apart lol. once I do that...

On the Queen (XS1) I found the key number stamped on the outside of the lock cylinder then purchased 2 of the keys on feebay.
john

I could use the numbers mentioned by johns to identify which type it is, or measure it like you've suggested. I think I'll throw the lock on eBay just to keep these vintage parts flowing, but I'll do a neck lock delete on my frame because I plane on running a big cable or chain through both wheels and frame everywhere I park it. also thinking about getting a caliper lock and one of those big electronic shackle locks that acts as a clamp on lo-jack and alarm system.

Thank you all for your input!

Back