LuisN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 Point ignition key
i have the Reg/ Rect. that has 7 wires coming out of it for the points version
this one
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2089.html

now, i have 3 Yellow, that will goto the stator

i have 1 green, 1 red, 1 orange, 1 blue.

where do i connect each thing?

what i dont get is , the wires coming out of the stator are 3 yellow, 1 black, 1 green, 1 blue

i also have a 4 prong Starter relay. has 2 fuses 20 amp each. i have the power connected on the right, and the starter on the left. the right b/c the bottom 2 prongs have positive to it. and the top 2 have nothing. what do i connect to the top 2 in order for the relay to start? the exact model is yamaha 4BH-81940-02

much help is appreciated.

i have a start button, key and no kill switch. as well

Last edited:
Here's some info on the regulator/rectifier.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6564&highlight=wiring+mikes+regulator+rectifier

The starter relay should have two heavy positive wires, one from the battery and one going to the starter. the other two activate the solenoid. One gets a switched 12V postive wire and the other gets the blue/white wire from the starter button. With power on the one terminal the starter button provides a ground to the other to complete the circuit and activate the solenoid. Make sure your bars have a good ground or the button won't work. Some people have added black bars that are powdercoated and don't ground properly. The bars are typically grounded through the left bar controls.

Heres the part i dont get...

The starter relay, on the 2 prongs on the bottom, those are getting pos + from the battery terminal connected on the top. The 2 prongs above that are not getting anything. So this is where i normally connect the starter button to the ground, then to one of the top prongs. And its not turning over

And another thing the blue wire going to brown, the brown goes no where... Ill take a pic

so as said in that link above

Rectifier side (6 space connector)
3 yellow to 3 white --- GOT IT!
1 red to 1 red --- OK!
1 green to 1 black --- PERFECT!

reg side (3 space connector)
orange to green --- Ok, BUT what does this do?
blue to brown --- Again, What does this do. b/c at the end of the brown wire coming out of the harness we have it just hangs. this is the wire harness we have as well

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img600/19-0411.jpg

you cant really see it but theres 1 brown, 1 black and 1 red just loose. black goes to neg batt. red to + batt, and brown.. where does that go IF the blue is connected to the connector side of that?

to be honest with you i dont feel i HAVE to use that damn harness .
on the left side of that pic, that connector goes to the stator side.

2 connectors come out of it. on 1 side. there are 3 white, -> 3 yellow
1 black and 1 red. im going to connect these each to the battery. right?

on the other connector, there is a black green and brown.
black goes to battery again. green goes to orange as stated above in that link. and brown.. again as i keep bashing my head against the desk wtf =(

*add 2nd ground from base to bat(-) ---- Got it as well.

Last edited:
Never mind. i read the details on mikesxs and we dont need that harness. thats for a sep. reg and rect. we have the new one.

so hopefully i can get this wired!

heres a pic i found of the starter relay.
!B5,o+ZgEGk~$(KGrHqIOKioEy(rVd9eIBMtiHzqKyg~~_35.jpg

Last edited:
and after MUCH digging on google. found IT! god damn
rectifier_regulator_xs650.jpg

this will help me on the reg rect. now to work on that starter selenoid

once someone confirms this i am doing it.

the last thing would be.. how do i find out if i have to "un-ground" the brushes on the stator.

i also found this really good one. seems like the same as above
190-4.jpg

Last edited:
this IS how the selenoid should be connected RIGHT!? ive done this 100 times im not sure why its not turning the engine over. hmm.. now to think maybe bad battery? im getting 12.25 volts... to low? also maybe bad ground.

relayd.jpg

You could connect the cable from the battery directly to the cable from the starter and make sure the starter is good and does crank the motor(watch that spark though near the battery) If that works take a ground wire from the battery to the terminal on the solenoid that you believe the button should go to and see if the solenoid works like that. If that works you have to find out why you are not getting a ground through the starter button.Make sure your bars are properly grounded.

thats what i tried.. i think the batt might of been dead that i was testing. we'll see tonight when i get home

Back