Need a new battery...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't find a battery thread. So anyway, what do I Have to make sure of if I buy a new one. Do I just need to make sure it fits in my battery tray?

Posted via Mobile

I've had bad luck with Walmart batteries, both bike and the Jeepmobile. On the bike I have an Autozone one now, which has been holding up so far.

12n14-3a is the size you need for a 74-83 XS 650. Advance Auto Part's has them, or go on-line, e-gay or just google motorcycle battery.

Most stores will have a battery booklet hanging on a chain that has makes models and years for bikes and tell you what battery to buy.

If you haven't gotten a battery before, unless it's some high tech battery you have to fill it with the included acid to a marked level, most easily done in bright sunlight, and then put it on a 2 amp charger for a few hours, until the green light comes on,,.

Last edited:
Just picked one up at the local O'Reilley's for about $45. if the book isn't by the battery rack, they will have it at the counter.

Haha. I looked for one today and the book didn't Go back far enough. Only to 84. Thanks for the help, I'll be getting my battery when i get my ignition...

Posted via Mobile

Back