XS1B BATTERY?

Jon Kitchen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Joined some time ago but have only "lurked" till now. After 30yrs. in storage it's time to get the old XS1b on the road again. The manual calls for 12N12-4A-1 battery. All I see listed is 12n12A-4a-1. ....So I guess the original battery is obsolete? The 12n12A battery is larger and won't fit the battery box. (as I'm sure you know). So what do you guys with the 70 & 71 bikes use for batteries? I'm sure ya'll got it figured out. A little boot to the butt would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

kitch

The description of this battery says 3" deep. Thats about 1/2" too big. Thanks for the link but I'll have to keep looking. There has to be a direct replacement (or close).

kitch

On my Xs1... I used the Xs2 battery box with filters... battery for this model is available .... 😎

Thanks for the link. Even though it's the same "family" number, once again @ 3.15" wide it's too big.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I though a battery "family" number indicated not only the electrical specs but also the physical size. I suppose that 12n12 is obsolete as every search I've done turns it to 12n12A.
All a battery needs to do in a XS1b is supply power to the ignition system so the engine can be started. I'm gonna look for an alternative application battery.
Like Wingedwheel says...there are options.

kitch

Thanks for the link. Even though it's the same "family" number, once again @ 3.15" wide it's too big.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I though a battery "family" number indicated not only the electrical specs but also the physical size. I suppose that 12n12 is obsolete as every search I've done turns it to 12n12A.
All a battery needs to do in a XS1b is supply power to the ignition system so the engine can be started. I'm gonna look for an alternative application battery.
Like Wingedwheel says...there are options.

kitch
All you need for a kick-only bike is a 7Ah alarm battery.
I have one in mine, works fine.

Problem solved. Searched Motobatt and found they do offer a true 12n12-4a-1 battery. Should be here in a couple days! Many Thanks to all who offered links, advice, etc. Much appreciated!
Some about me...I'm a 72 year old fossil who has ridden motorcycles since before I was of legal age to do so. I own & ride a Harley Road King Classic. I'm not a "Harley Snob". I don't care what someone rides. You ride, you love motorcycles. Thats all that matters.
I've owned this particular Yamaha since 1975 and been many places on it. Her clutch went south summer of 1992. Local Yamaha dealer said NLA. after market was pretty much non existent in those days so in the barn it went...for 31 years. Now she's getting a new lease on life. Now I wish I hadn't done a mild custom job back then...hindsight... Since the damage is already done I'm going further with changes in a hopefully retro look that I think will be rather unique. we'll see. I know the forum lives & breaths pics. I haven't figured out how to post pics yet, but when I do I will.
This forum is an absolute wealth of knowledge and encouragement and is greatly appreciated..

kitch

Can you share what Motobatt battery you found that is a true 12n12-4a-1 replacement?

Turns out it's not. Batt. arrived today. It's smaller in size. Motobatt #MB3U. The box states it replaces YB3L-A & YB3L-B. It is 3.8 AH. Won't know if it's big enough till I try it. Bike is in pieces so it'll be a couple months. Probably closer to spring, it's gettin winter here in Ohio. Searched Motobatt's Amazon store instead of their corporate web site. On second thought I will probably return it and explore further.

OK...went to Motobatt corporate web site. They have a "parts finder". I entered Make, model, year and it popped right up. Model MB5.5U. 7ah and dimensions match almost perfect. Just that easy. I've been misled by Amazon store fronts before....live and learn.

kitch

If anyone is still watching...rec'd MB5.5U battery from Motobatt today. Dropped right in. Interestingly it is NOT a direct replacement for 12n12-4a-1. The box claims a direct replacement for 12n5.5-3b and 12n5.5-4a. HMMM...I got my info from a Clymer shop manual that covers all 650 models from 1970 to 1978 and was published in 1978. Wrong info? Were the designation numbers changed? This is an AGM battery, does that change all the numbers? I don't know and by now I don't care! It fits, it works, and now maybe my headache will go away! Thanks to all who gave advice.

Back