Need a title in texas-its easy

Flyer888

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
See below.
I posted this also in the classifieds for someone wanting a titled frame in TX and listed the wrong phone number.
Thought I would also list it here in case someone in texas was needing A title for their bike.
Easy to get a title!
Sorry wrong number, here is the correct no. 972-417-0884 ext 5.
Before you call go to: www.txdmv.gov
Go to the vehicles colum
Click on titles
Click on - Bonded tital procedures
And do a little reading before calling the number above.
The only catch is --- you need to be a resident of Texas OR the bike needs to have been last registered in Texas. As long as ether one of these requirments are ment you can get a title without much trouble.
Mark

Mark, it may be easy, but it is also costly.
Thanks for answering my PM. If you follow your instructions above, you eventually get to this part:
"For vehicles 25 years old or older, TxDMV staff will use the greater of:
A set value of $4,000.00 multiplied by 1.5 will be assigned to the vehicle"
This means you pay 8.25% sales tax on 6 grand, which is $495 in tax alone. The bond and fees are on top of that.

Not cheap, not all that easy. They are tightening up quite a bit in Texas nowadays too. For those of you who work on other people's bikes, you have to have a signed estimate authorizing any repairs, parts, and labor that you may need to claim for a mechanic's lein. We got into this pretty heavy with the aircraft scene. If the job escalates beyond the oringinal agreement in any way, you need to get the escelations approved in writing (E-mails authorizing additional costs have worked fine for us in the past, just make sure you save your "sent" files.) A brief intro helps here: While performing XXXX inspection per Proposal or Work Order number XXX on your XXXXXx We found that XXXx is broken and should be replaced (you can't force anyone to do a repair) Estimated replacement cost is XXX with 2.0 hours labor at XXX per hour. Please respond with your approval or denial of the repair at your earliest convienience. Sincerely, Mortimer Snerd.
If you don't have something similar, and the original estimate signed by the registered owner, or thier designated rep (we get a lot of D.R. letters around aircraft for pilots to authorize repairs) The court will not let you file the lein, and you will have no choice but to file a civil suit to get paid. Cover your butts out there!
We just last year shelled out $329.00 in sales tax on a 800 dollar car with no title to get a bonded title. Took nearly 6 weeks. Not easy.

Guess I need to check into this a little more, was talking to a bike shop owner who buys bikes with no titles - repairs/customizes them, applies for titles, then sells them. He acted like it was quick and easy.

It is if you can pass all the cost right on to the next owner! HAHAHAHA!
Which shop? If you don't mind me asking.
Most of the guys I know who are doing it won't touch it without a title. My buddy will offer people 50 bucks for a bike with no title, and never any more, because seldom can he fix what they have and get it titled for any decent profit.

Back