Need Advice on Ground Strap Replacement

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a resto of my 1976 XS650C. Want to replace the automotive-type ground strap that someone installed. It is 4 gauge copper, and seems to be a bit over-done in terms of gauge size. I have some clean 8 gauge wire I could use. Any suggestions as to proper gauge of the wire? Thanks !
XS650.rebuild 007.jpg

Stick with the 4 ga. It has less resistance to the current flow. I swapped all my cables from the battery to the starter and ground with 4 ga. cables. I also ran a 4 ga. cable from one starter mount bolt to battery negative.
This lets the starter get as much cranking amps from battery to starter as possible.
8 ga. works, that's what the factory used, mostly to save money, heavier cost more.
I just noticed I misspoke I corrected myself. Changed the "Stick with 8 ga." to "Stick with the 4 ga. "
As I meant.
Leo

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of a resto of my 1976 XS650C. Want to replace the automotive-type ground strap that someone installed. It is 4 gauge copper, and seems to be a bit over-done in terms of gauge size. I have some clean 8 gauge wire I could use. Any suggestions as to proper gauge of the wire? Thanks !

Hi 'dude and welcome,
8 gauge wire is thinner than 4 gauge wire and so conducts less current/has more resistance/whatever.
Your ground strap looks just like the factory ground strap on my XS650 and all the others I've worked on.
However, the photo seems to show that your particular ground strap has issues, looks like the endpiece to cable crimps may have corrosion products that will seriously effect the strap's conductivity.
So yeah, the factory ground strap wire gauge is right, but you need a new one.

I used "generic" 4 gauge wires from Pep Boys to replace my primary leads, as I had internal corrosion in the wires (most do)
This enhances your power supply, and charging as well. Time well spent that gets skipped very often.

DSC00295_zps7567c791.jpg

4 gauge seems to make sense if it can be managed in this battery compartment space, so I went to Pep Boys today and found a wide selection of 4 gauge cables, decently manufactured, and with unbeatable prices. Thanks, JD50ace.

Last edited:
Does that 4 gauge wire come with terminals...and does anyone know what size terminals? Haven't looked at my bike but sound like an easy upgrade from original wires. Was thinking about looking at the nearest car audio place for 4G but will check pep boys to.

Yup, nice terminals, well constructed. This one is the shortest of this type, 19" and was about 7 bucks.
XS650.rebuild 024.jpg
The hole in the terminal is 3/8"

4 gauge seems to make sense if it can be manged in this battery compartment space, so I went to Pep Boys today and found a wide selection of 4 gauge cables, decently manufactured, and with unbeatable prices. Thanks, JD50ace.

That's what I thought! Why go nuts looking for wire stock that is decently manufactured with just the right insulation on it and what not? You can buy them all day long, made for the job, and if you need to do a different termination, big deal! You are buying some of these assembled wires that will bolt right on for less than you would pay for 2 feet of comparable wire in some instances. Your electrical system will thank you for clean new wires. :thumbsup:

Back