Need an engine rebuilt in Ohio

You. You can do it. Get a repair manual and follow the steps to remove the head. Now you can replace the chain and guide, reassemble.
Not hard to do. Just a bit time consuming. Having someone do this for you will cost a lot more. Doing it your self saves money and being able to say I did it myself is a great feeling.
Leo

I second that. These engines are not too hard to work pn. Just take your time and take notes/photos/ whatever you need to help assist you as well as having.the manual. You should be fine

GAH! I know!

You guys are right, i should just do it myself.

I pulled the motor, bought the gasket set and cam guide and i've just been staring at it! I got myself all freaked out once i started reading about the million bolts that need taken off and cataloged and what have you.

I think i'll just give it a shot.

A good way to keep the bolts straight is to keep them in seperate baggies or punched through cardboard in the order you removed them. If you do it yourself it will also give you a chance to remedy some of the common problems such as the rubber washers on the head and the torn sump screen. If you feel real adventurous you could also do some mods such as the VW swivel valve adjusters. It is also a good way to get familiar with the internals of the motor so that you know what is where and it will help identifiy strange noises that may arise in the future.

Back