Need better fitting Muffler Hanger bracket?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have the Mikes pipes and Commando Muffs and dont like the look of the hanger strap holding the
muffler from the rear foot peg bracket. But the brackets that came with my bike wont fit as they aren't
long enough the extend back to the inside mounting bracket weld to the Mufflers. I believe 5 twins
had a fix for this with a bracket from another bike,yamaha I think, cant find the thread.

Yes, what you probably have is the triangle shaped hanger used on the later Standard models. The muffler mounting points extent both ahead of and behind the frame attachment point .....

Jingw7R.jpg

What you need is a hanger that doesn't have that front mount ahead like that. Look for hangers from the earlier 650s or a 500. Their front muffler mount hole is directly below the frame mount, not farther ahead .....

aNHPsn9.jpg

UXrBwK6.jpg

Still, this isn't a perfect "fit" or solution. The front muffler mount hole still doesn't reach into the track. But, it gets right up next to it so if you attach to the muffler using a length of drilled and tapped bar stock, and short bolts, it "clamps" the muffler on just fine .....

vTv2ex0.jpg

wrooSt0.jpg

And I do recommend you use this tapped flat bar mounting method. Just bolt heads in the sliding track don't hold up for long on these vibrating 650s, lol.

Thx 5T, yes I experienced the broken bolts within the first season of riding without using the flatcar stock!
The flat bar came with my pipes but elected not to use it, silly boy!
Thx for the info, looking now online for a set of the older mounts.I have the stock ones of my 77 and there pretty much useless
with after market Muffs. Do u know if the units u mention are the same or is there one that works better. Thx
ps: Anyone with a set that reads this, if u want to part with or need a set of a 77 for your scoot, Email me Thx

Found a set of Rear brackets ONLY of an old XS500. Will the rubber pegs off my 77 mount on the same way or
was the peg different also.

..if you can't get the aforementioned bracket to align ..... I made my own three hole bracket. Mount the mufflers... placed blocks under them to get the height..position right.. then cardboard templates....from muffler to frame mount.... most of the time it requires a " Z " bend.. because the mount'n slot on the muffler is pass the frame mount. Then transfer the template to metal.. cut..drill.. vise for the required Z bend.... paint.

Thx MotorMike but not that great with parts fabrication.Thats a tricky lil part with 3 holes that have to line up
,the height to get the pipe to hang without putting undue stress on the connectors for the Muffs up front. Plus
the slight bend around the Muff that the stock bracket has.But thx for the enthusiasm !

... You can do this.. it's easy.. that's why you start with cardboard..you'r not go'n to get the template correct the first time.. I'v made templates and at the end.. the floor was littered with bits of cardboard.
another fellow used the stock muffler bracket and weld'd a large heavy washer to the top.. re drilled the hole.. grind weld.. paint. Look'd pretty good. But I wonder how long the weld held up.
I know replacement mufflers give a single strap which will last about 15 miles.

The passenger pegs are the same and will swap from bracket to bracket.

Thx 5T. I have 2 sets, one New from Mikes. I found a Right hand side bracket only, New Yamaha original equip on EBAY.
Need the left side but not 1 available , 6 right side ,Strange .Shipping from the USA plus customs, duty, taxes ect adds up EH!

Found Both left and right brackets brand new in Yamaha bags.Should have in a week ,hopefully will
fit better than hanger straps.Thx 5T .Wont be long now, maybe get out before the end of the month if lucky.
We still have some snow and roads are covered in gravel, slippery!

Did you get 500 or 650 brackets? I have 500 brackets on mine and the mounting hole was a little tight on the frame stud. It only took a couple minutes with a half round file though to make them fit.

5T I got the XS500/TX500 brackets. Are they exactly the same as the early xs650 brackets u mentioned?
I have the Mikes Tipped up at the end Manifold pipes, I think u mentioned in a thread that u have the
Mac header pipes.I hope these brackets will fit ,may need to do a lil grinding in the holes.I guess I really wont know
till I get them.Had to get thru EBAY USA. Prob be around $80 CDN by the time I pay shipping ,taxes and conversion
to our shit CDN dollar! Worth it if they work, keeping my fingers crossed!

Curious ,what did u use for the centre stand stop bracket.I see Mikes sells an L shaped bracket that I guess
mounts to the left rear foot peg mount on the frame, probably between the New bracket I ordered.
Or is there a better way? My Commando Muffs do not have the welded in mount with the rubber stop attached like the original
pipes that come with bike.

I don't have, nor have I ever had, any of the early 650 brackets, I've only had 500 ones. I'm sure they're very similar but probably not exactly the same. Yes, I have MAC headpipes, and they sweep up at the ends pretty good, maybe a little more than the current MikesXS offering. Hopefully your mufflers will lift up enough for the hanger bracket to reach the frame stud. If not, a short piece of plate extension would be all you needed. I'm sure even you could make something like that. It would just be a little piece of plate with 2 holes in it.

To pad the centerstand tang against the muffler, I simply slip a short piece of heater hose on it .....

QOF59xn.jpg

JWV1MX3.jpg

It's far enough back from the engine so it doesn't get hot enough to melt the rubber.

Great info, Automotive water heater hose? Looks simple enough.
Yes, even I could make a small strait bracket, still be better than the straps that come with pipes.
Thx again 5T

Back