1973 TX 650 - fitting/support for Cone Engineering mufflers

Chrisn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 TX 650 and am about to purchase1 3/4" stainless steel header pipes from Hoos Racing and then fit Cone Engineering "Quiet-er Core" Cone/Reverse Cone Slip-On Mufflers. Where do the mufflers attach to the bike once fitted onto the header pipe, ie. what is the support? If used a bracket, where sourced from? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Here is what I did with mine. Starts at about post #117.
I have the Mikes aftermarket stock replacement single wall pipes with Cone's 12" straight core megaphones. The only thing I want to add is an additional support in the stock location of the head pipes under the foot pegs. My pipes feel solid, but these bikes tend to vibrate a little :umm:. It's more for piece of mind for me. You can also try using the stock muffler hangers. Try switching the sides to adjust the mounting locations. It just depends on where your mount hangers will be on your mufflers. Those Quit-er core mufflers are quite a bit longer than mine. They came out with those after I bought my shorty's. I think they look like a very nice product.

Slot_Cone_Mount_1024x1024.jpg

Lossa engineering sells this stainless side mount for their cone mufflers. I used them to mount my High Pipes.
Bracket 005.JPG

This is a set of Hoos 1/2 mile pipes with his megaphones. I made the mounting brackets for these and used his rubber dampers to mount with.:thumbsup:
pipe brackets 004.JPG

Willis, that is better than brilliant. Pictures and post helped alot, can now appreciate how I need to fit. Chris

Do you already have your mufflers? I ordered mine direct from Cone Engineering. Dime City and many others sell them now too, but if you order direct Cone can weld the mounts on at the factory. They have several different styles available too. Good people at Cone Engineering! I found out after the fact and had a muffler shop weld mine on. I didn’t show in the post but after I finished filing the down to a nice finish I sent them in with my wheels to be powder coated.

Back