Need Brake Stay Location/Dimensions

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I am going to have someone fab up and weld on a brake stay to my non-drum swing arm. Was wondering if someone could give me some kind of info on location and size to give him?

I have already customized this swing arm so just swapping out isn't too feasible and I don't have an extra to go by.

Basic distance, placement and size measurements will suffice.

thanks amigos!

Attachments

• BrakeStayTab.jpg
    BrakeStayTab.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 80
I would just make one like the drum brake and mount it right above the drum mount. Same distance from the front and the same distance in from the side just on top of the swingarm.

Ok, I'll try to make this as simple as I can.
Look at the brake stay mount on your swing arm. Get some steel and make one just like it.
Now with your swingarm set on your bench with the brake stay mount side down. Take the brake stay mount you made and position it right over where the brake stay mount on the bottom is. Same distance from the front end of the swingarm, same distance from the side of the swingarm as the brake stay mount on the bottom of the swingarm.
Weld in place.

I get that, but the problem is that I don't have a brake stay mount on my swing arm now. Its just flat on both sides.

From your pic you can tell approx where it is and what it looks like. I don't see how the lenght or exact position would be critical if that's what you're concerned with. If you need to fit a stock stay rod, then buy the rod and position the mount to fit it?

From your pic you can tell approx where it is and what it looks like. Buy a stay rod or make one and make a stay mount and put it where it's practical for your customized swingarm. I don't see how the lenght would be critical.

Does the position of the brake stay on the drum itself matter? Needs to be straight down? Just make the Stay and then a rod to hook up to it that ensures it is at the correct position?

You can estimate the position from the pic in bushing widths, since the bushing is visible in the pic. I think it would be close enough. As for the position on the rear plate, look at pics and copy that approximately. I don't think any of it would be extremely critical, as long as it's strong.

I've got the swingarm off my project as we speak. I can take measurements and pics if you like. To make sure we're on the same page, you have a disc brake swing arm that has no braket for the stay, is that correct?

Back