need crank service in toronto area

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
howdy guys gravelman here we where just rebuilding my 72 xs2 motor and noticed a litlle crank wobble . i live in huntsville ontario and was wondering if anyone could recomend a crank shop to true weld balance my crank gta would be good any help welcome or anywhere in southern ontario thanks again joe

I've got one or two cranks here if you wanted to have one of them checked out and buy it vs having yours done.

If you're going to have your crank taken apart and welded you should get it rephased at the same time.

hey tim thanks for ur reply are your cranks for the early models xs2 with electric start let me know cause that may be my way out thanks joe

Once you pull you crank you might be able to true it up some your self. A large lead headed hammer, no steel damages crank, a couple dial indicaters and a pair of v bolcks. Set the crank on the v blocks, set the indicaters up to read the runout at each end. Spin the crank watching the gauge. find the spot where the end pf the crank is at a high spot. Use a sharpie to mark the top of the flywheels at this spot Now set the crank on the floor. With the high spot up look at the flywheels. Is the high spot next to the pin holding the rod? or 90 degrees from the pin? 180 from the pin?
If next to the pin the flywheels are spread to far apart opposite the pin need compress that side of the flywheels. A ball joint press can be used to squeeze the fly wheels on that edge. Snug it down good and a tap or two on the bolt will move theflywheels a bit.
If the high spot is 180 from the pin the flywheels are to close together. Wedges driven between the fly wheels will spread them.
Most often the high spot will be 90 degrees from the pin. In this case with the crank lying on the floor hit the flywheel at the mark. This will txist this flywheel on the pin.
After each hit recheck runout. After a few times in and out of the v blocks you will get a feel for how much and how hard the hit the flywheel.
Once you get one end in spec do the other end.
As you do one end it may effect the other so check both ends. You may need to true both ends several times to get both good. I used this method to get the cranks I rebuilt in spec. One I did I git to nearly zero one one end and .006 on the other end. The spec is .0012 max. One the other I got both ends about .001
Not hard to do but tiring. Lifting the crank up and down off the floor a couple dozen time gets tiring.
The Factory 70-74 book I have tells how to split the crank to replace bearings and rods and how to reassemble and true the crank.
Leo

thanks leo for all your help i talked to gord bush in toronto and i am going to take it to him iam not confident in doing nor the welding but thanks for all your help leo cheers joe

Bikermetric did a write-up using our help a while back on rebuild the XS650 crank. Some of the editing was done by them to try and "Cool it up" for the biker crowd, but the content is pretty good. Make sure whoever builds the crank disassembles it 100% and rebuilds it proper. If you need any help or advice, feel free to ask or hit me up via email.

http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/11/techtips-re-phasing-your-xs650-by-hugh.html

This article pertains more to rephasing, but a good rebuilt crank will follow most all of the principles in that article.

We've rebuilt 100's ovf XS650 cranks, usually 1-2 a day at this point. That early 256 crank may be weighted, and beating on it with a hammer will loosen the lead based weights - so make sure you are careful with those.

i never asked about rephasing just if he could true and weld and says not a problem i didnt know he was the other halk of lethnerand busch but he seemed real helpfull and said it was not a issue i will keeo u posted thanks joe

Gord is really 'the' guy in Canada to go to for this sort of thing. He was recently inducted as a Master of Mosport in recognition of his contribution in creating many championship racing engines etc.

He's been at it for almost 40 years. I'm quite sure he's rephased cranks before, and I know he can break a crank down and put it back together any which way that is needed.

Gord is really 'the' guy in Canada to go to for this sort of thing. He was recently inducted as a Master of Mosport in recognition of his contribution in creating many championship racing engines etc.

He's been at it for almost 40 years. I'm quite sure he's rephased cranks before, and I know he can break a crank down and put it back together any which way that is needed.

Awesome :thumbsup: - we've had several cranks come in lately from "race shops" that were totally trashed, so It's good to hear you folks up north have a good shop to go to.

let us know how it goes, and if it's good, I'll have another resource for my Canadian customers to check out, because shipping to the states is $$$..

Yeah - that's the only reason I mentioned him as a potential source for rephasing - the shipping of a crank to and from Asheville is killer :)

Every time I drop in there to have something done, there some other crazy piece of exotic cast aluminum sitting on the shelf waiting its turn on one of his machines. It's the best feeling in the world to be able to trust the guy you're handing your engine to.

exactly i would send my parts to hughs in a heart beat but like he says the cost of shipping and handling is very high .i really dont care if its rephased the bike iam restoring is a stock bike in original trim .its just going to be a put around bike i have my guzzi for hotrodding lol but i dont want to reasemble the way it is wouldnt be rite even though the bike worked perfect before .but i will keep u guys updated thanks for the help u giys been just way to good cheers joe

I don't believe the 5th gear will even work in a 77 or older motor. Is that correct?
jefft

Not unless you include the matching cog for the other shaft, which is also sold, or swap out the transmission from a later engine. Not sure if the later transmissions swap into the 256 engines but they're all interchangeable in the 447's.

howdy guys joe here once again thanks for ur help i was talking to gord bush today and iasked him about rephasing and he said yes he can do it as long as we wupply the pins .but he doesnt do the cams so that makes it a lot cheaper if we only have to ship the cams away as far as shipping goes food for thought take care guys joe

Back