Need detailed instructions on how to replace the carbon brushes! '81 XS650

Sleezy650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to work on my 1981 xs650 bobber later today when I get off work. I'm replacing the battery and the carbon brushes. The bike died on me this past Saturday and I've been raking my brain trying to figure out what could be wrong. I know the battery is shot but when I jumped the bike off it died again while I was cruising down the road. So to me that says something is wrong in the charging system. So I'm starting with something small and working my way up next step will be the stator if the brushes are in good shape. So please anyone with some insight on how to replace the brushes and can provide some pictures as well would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Hey I Am Carbon I watched your video and it was definitely helpful seems like there's not much to changing the brushes. Did you mark the positioning of the brushes in anyway? I read somewhere that you need to mark where the brushes were so that they aren't reinstalled backwards or opposite sides or whatever. Did you have any issues putting them back in once you were done replacing the seal?

Either brush in either hole but keep track of which screws came from where. Some are longer than others and that's important.

roy
depends on the year, 79 and earlier tabs are different than the 80 and later......... +1 on the screw lenghts

Back