Need help! Can I use a 1970 pamco ignition kit on my 1980

Mendez78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought a 1970-72 pamco ignition kit + advance http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0916.html from some one online but my bike is 1980 so my question is will I be able to use this kit on my bike I have tried reaching out to a few people but no one seems to want to help this I my first xs650 so I don't know to much about the bikes so if anybody would be able to help me out it would be highly appreciated

If its the kit with all the advance pcs, yes
If your engine does not have the mechanical ignition advance on it, you will need the cross shaft, bushings and advance unit off of a 78 or earlier engine. The advance unit is under the small chrome cover on the top right hand side of the engine. (Opposite the place where the points or pamco go on the left)

Last edited:
If your engine does not have the mechanical ignition advance on it, you will need the cross shaft, bushings and advance unit off of a 78 or earlier engine. The advance unit is under the small chrome cover on the top right hand side of the engine. (Opposite the place where the points or pamco go on the left)

Thanks for your reply MrBill. I think the kit comes with all that by cross shaft you mean the advance rod? Cause I see that's what they call it in the kit

The basic Pamco is the same no matter what year the bike. The kits come in two forms. One is for 70-79 points engines, it is just the Pamco. The other is for the 80 up TCI engines. It comes with Basic Pamco and the advancer, rod, bushings And such to put the advancer in the cam.
The kits have a variety of options on other parts, coils, wires and such.
If your kit has all the advance parts it will work fine in your 80 engine.
Leo

The basic Pamco is the same no matter what year the bike. The kits come in two forms. One is for 70-79 points engines, it is just the Pamco. The other is for the 80 up TCI engines. It comes with Basic Pamco and the advancer, rod, bushings And such to put the advancer in the cam.
The kits have a variety of options on other parts, coils, wires and such.
If your kit has all the advance parts it will work fine in your 80 engine.
Leo
Leo thanks for your help I'm so happy to hear this I was worried I had bought something I wasn't gonna be able to use

Back