Need help putting fork ears back on please

lawrgj

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, 1977 standard, i have the lower covers, ears, a rubber grommet with an indent two washers and two thin metal washer like things that i think i remember being part of the rubber ones. Looked everywhere and at parts schematics and cannot figure this out... Please someone tell me how to get this together

I changed out the lower two piece beauty covers for a newer model that covers the brake line union, the one piece with the 'Yamaha' name on. I've got the washers and grommets stacked as such and seems to be correct, or at the least, aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Divide the parts that you have in two.........left and right sides.
Just above the lower triple start with a metal washer, then rubber. Add the chrome lower cover, the headlight ear, metal washer on top of that and finish with a rubber grommet/washer.

gggGary may have one that wasn't pulled apart that might have the proper sequence.

who me?

I'll have to look and see if I can line it up in correct order....

The rings and rubber go at the bottom. the beauty cap sits above those.
My headlight parts box is so full I can't get it down off the shelf man I need MORE shelving.
When assembled the beauty cap and ear is all that is visible the rubber and other chrome rings can't be seen.

thanks guys, i remember reading that the new bearing upper race would protrude, not be an issue. however it seems to me that i have about that much vertical play...
so i think,

lower tree
rubber
chrome trim slips into rubber
beauty cap
fork ear
washer
top clamp?

i cant figure this out,
I have about an 1/8 inch dead space, and must need some kind of rubber for the tops but after looking through all my parts dont seem to have any,

i think the issue with spacing is the roller bearings.
the top cup sits taller than stock putting the top clamp higher,

maybe a 35 mm rubber shim?

Could be, my 79 has the roller bearings don't think I had to space it. Do you have the bearing fully seated?

This photo might help. The manual says nothing about how these are put together.
IMG_0596.jpg

I got mine together finally!
I had put my second set of rubber washer/gaskets in the wrong bag....
Thanks so much guys

however, i do only have one set of the metal washers but they do fit fine now...
god that was killing me,
now if i can only find the bolts to mount the inst. cluster...

ron, that swirling on the ear, from steel wool i assume,
maguires 105 polish...
this stuff was recomended to me by a local paint guy and i was thinking...
" if this stuff is so magical, why does no one carry it?"
well bought it off amazon and holy crap! this stuff literally buffs anything to a scrtch free finish, better than any product I have ever used!
seriously you will thank me the second you order it

Back