Need help w/ 1983 jetting w/ new exhaust

steco

Steve
Reaction score
I have a 1983 xs650 Heritage Special. I replaced the stock exhaust w/ a complete set from Mikesxs. The new set is #07-0749. The original jetting on my carbs is the following: MAIN JET - #132.5, MAIN AIR JET - #85, PILOT JET - #42.5, STARTER JET - #30. I have the Mikuni BS34III carbs. QUESTIONS: Should I use the stock jets with this setup? If not, which ones? What should I set the air mixture screw at? ( I drilled the caps off ).

I read them from the manual. I want to replace the jets anyway. Also,The left exhaust is running much cooler than the right side.

The reason i ask:

Main Air Jet - #85 is wrong. It's #135 stock.

No idea what a "starter" jet is. It's not something you can replace/access, anyway.

Yes, run the stock jetting initially. the only thing i would suggest is (if it's an american carb that's original) is to replace the needle/needle jet with a cdn version, which runs a bit richer.

Idle screw, you can start 1.5 turns out.

If your left exhaust is much cooler you need to clean the idle circuit in that sides carb. Plugged idle circuits mean that side not running at idle, thus the cooler pipe.
The starter jet is pressed into the float bowl and controls the fuel flow of the enrichener. You can't change it. Just get it clean or the enrichener won't work.
Some folks refer to the enrichener as a choke. A choke cuts of the air for starting the engine. An enrichener adds more fuel for starting.
Opening up the carb and checking the jets is the only way to be sure what you have.
The mixture screw often needs 2-3 turns out to get right. More the jets to small, less to big.
It will take some expermenting to get right. Each engine is a law unto it's own.
Start at stock, get the idle right, then the wot, adjust the needle for best midrange.

Back