Need Help with engine issue!

avmagneticz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I finally finished this build I've been working on (so I thought). this thing has caused me such a headache. But Im determined to get it working properly and ride it.
So where do I start...OK last week I rode the bike 40 mins in traffic all the way home from my shop. 10 mins from home I hear the tone of the engine change on idle and the bike starts sputtering so I kept the revs up eventually it did die when trying to put it in gear though. I diagnosed it as a charging issue. I saw that the lights were dim and the battery was dead. It would start back up but not last.
So last week I decide to get rid or some old electronics and ordered a pma kit. Installed it last night fired it up check the battery voltage I got 12 when the bikes off and 14.2 when it's running, Steady Even with throttle applied.
I let the bike warm up and I go for some test laps. 30 seconds in the note of the exhaust changes to a more high pitched unhealthy sound and it's sputtering when I put it into first. Eventually died and then wouldn't start back up. Battery still full.
Fast forward to this morning I go down to tinker with it and decide to try and kick it. Starts up takes a few tries to keep it running. I guess it was pretty cold. I let it warm up 5 minutes then put it in gear and go...doesn't sound exactly right but it's moving I turn around come back try from first again and it does the same thing sounds raspy starts sputtering as I'm slowly releasing clutch won't really Rev properly then dies.
The only thing left on the bike that has not been replaced is the coils and condenser. The point system seems fine I timed it myself a couple months ago.
Another thing to note is I get nasty kick back when starting from cold. I assumed that was just normal. It only happens on a certain stroke.
What does this sound like? To clarify it's a 1973 xs650 but the engine is a rebuilt 1980 with 1mm overbore.

In terms of wiring my setup looks a lot like this diagram here minus the one wire joining the stator and reg going to the ignition switch. The pma kit did not have that so I did not cut anything to wire it in.

Attachments

• noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 147
Also I cleaned and set the float bowls on the carbs recently. I'm leaving towards an electrical issue somewhere from the switch the spark plugs. This thing has a hardtail and shakes fucking everything. Sometimes finding problems is difficult

I'm with twomany, check the tank vent just pop the cap off and take it for a ride and see what happens. I had one with a similar issue and whoever put the tank liner in it got it on the cap and plugged the vent hole

Interesting. I will check it. I actually went ahead and ordered new coils and condenser anyways. Just make everything new. I have reason to believe I most likely over heated them a few times when adjusting timing etc. I never knew you weren't suppost to leave ignition on with points and coilpacks for extended time. As well as have ignition on with either of the spark plug wires unplugged from the spark plug. Part of the learning process I guess.
Anyways yes I will try your test with the cap. Thanks

For reference it's a new hd sportster tank. That I had powdercoated. They could have done a poor job of covering the vent when they sprayed the powder

Back