Need help with simple light diagram

savannah steve

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My XS is almost Done! I am using the stock handlebar controls, and have relocated the ignition key switch to the lower right side of the bike. The battery is ina tray under the engine where the starter used to be. Im using the TC Bros chopper harness to make it run. Now, I need to wire the lights.

Can anyone help me wire the lights? Since the engine harness is done, I'll basically need to make a harness for the lights. I can make a small box for under the seat , but Im not sure how the wires should be run for the controls. LED tail/ turn signals, LED headlight.

Thanks. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

In the XS650 TECH section there is a thread titled "Some Wiring Diagrams" Look through the diagrams to find one that uses the parts you have.
Use that diagram to wire in the lights.
Adding more circuits to a harness is not very hard. After the main switch run a wire to a fuse, from the fuse to a control, from the control to what ever you are wanting to run, A good ground is always a good thing.
If you are using stock controls you can reference a factory diagram to see how the stock controls are hooked to the things they control.
Leo

I'll tell you what I did. I ran a single wire up from a fused light switch to my headlight bucket where I put a spdt relay. All you got to do is find 2 wires coming down from your hi/low beam handlebar switch that have continuity when on high beam Use a continuity tester to find 2 wires that will pass signal and use those 2 wires. I had a new aftermarket switch and had 3 wires I just used 2 of the wires and cut the low beam wire off . then take that new single wire from your fused switch hook it to #30 on the relay and jumper it to one of the wires from the hi-low beam handlebar switch and hook the second wire from the hi-low handlebar switch to # 86 of the relay. Hook #85 to ground. Hook #87a to your low beam on the headlight and last hook #87 to your high beam light wire on the headlight. This way your one + positive wire feeds terminal 30 of the relay and comes back out on terminal 87a and lights up your low beam. The jumpered wire from 30 that you send up to the handlebar switch when you flip your hi-low to high beam it will excite the coil and drop the low beam and turn on the high beam. Hope this helps.

this might help. Id run the tail light and brake light from a separate fuses also. If you have a aftermarket tail light you may have to add a ground wire on the light back to your main ground.

Attachments

• Micro-relay-pin-out.jpg
    Micro-relay-pin-out.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 103
Back