need help with this taillight

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i just got this little light to be a taillight. im not that good at this whole electrical thing but this light only has on wire how do i hook it up at least just to check if it works???

Pull the red lens off and see if it is a single filament bulb. Don't look to have enough room for two wire's to come out the stem. If so, the case is the ground.

yes it is single filament. only one wire so what do i do? hook the one wire to the positive of a 12v and it should light up... do i not need to hook anything to the negative???

jeep guy, the lamp fixture, or housing is the negative side. Yes, a ground to the housing is needed, whether it be what you mount the lamp to or a separate wire if you do not attach it to something metal on the bike.
Kinda like a test light, when you attach the clip to the ground and use the probe to find a voltage source.

To test if it works just hook a ground wire to the housing. As far as using for a tail light you would have to gut it and make it a dual filament. Needs to light and then get brighter when u hit the brake. 2 wires out and one ground.

Back