Need help

Mcnabb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm wiring my 79 xs got the wiring diagram off of working class choppers and the starter solenoid from mikes xs I have it wired like the diagram shows (pretty sure) but when I go to hook up the wires to the + side of the battery it kicks the starter over I will tell ya my wiring skills suck so try not to make to much fun. My ignition switch is mostly like a cars:yikes:

You need to show us the diagram you think you are using, and then follow it yourself to see that this is the case.

We'll observe, ask for specific tests and comment but yes, we need more info to offer anything.

Remember this:
When operating a solenoid, there is going to be the "switch" side and the starter side.
The larger posts or screws are for the larger wire, or starter.
So you should have a wire from battery to solenoid, then from solenoid to starter.
On the two larger screws...
On the switch side, should be your starter button, or whatever you are using.
That should be a smaller guage wire than the battery because you arent using as much current.
I hope I am explaining this well enough.

You need power to operate the solenoid.
Which would be the switch side. Or starter button, whatever you want to call it.
One wire from the battery to a button to the smaller screws on the solenoid.
This will energize the coil in the solenoid, closing the circuit for the starter.
You can test it without the starter wires connected just to be safe at first.
When you apply 12v to the switch side, the solenoid should click....meaning its working.
Do that first, and secure it, because it might jump a hair...lol
Once you've established that the solenoid is working, you and connect your larger wires.
Remember, you are drawing a lot of current to operate that starter.
So you need a larger guage wire...typically the same size as stock or I use 6 guage...8 guage works too...

Hopefully this advice helps ya, any more questions...shoot me a message.

I know my reply was done in haste, but think of it like this...
You need a button to "start" the bike.
That button is actually energizing the solenoid, momentarily.
Which will run the starter until you release it.

So if you are turning the starter as soon as you key the ignition, you aren't wired right.
There must be a break in the circuit, i.e., the starter button.
That way it will only crank when the button is pressed.

12v ---- button----- one side of smaller screws on solenoid ---- other side is ground.

---- this means wire.
Or like this.
Power to button to solenoid (one small screw) then other small screw to ground.
That will let you test your solenoid to make sure its working.

Then attach your larger wires from battery (usually with a fuse) to solenoid on one large screw.
The other larger screw goes from solenoid to starter.

Got it?

(I know it might be confusing)
But its the best I can do...

He says he has an auto style ignition, what if he has the solenoid sending when the key is on auxiliary, so if the keys half cocked he has ignition instead of starting only when the full key advance is engaged like when you normally start a car.

He says he has an auto style ignition, what if he has the solenoid sending when the key is on auxiliary, so if the keys half cocked he has ignition instead of starting only when the full key advance is engaged like when you normally start a car.

Ahh...I missed that.
Yeah if the automotive ignition is used then the solenoid sound like its getting power from the accessory or ignition side.

So the wiring might just need switched.

Ok then find the starter side of the key switch, I imagine is full forward.
Thats where the solenoid wire should be coming from.

Ignition side of key switch would provide constant power.
Not switched power...

Ok got it

:thumbsup:

I had the same thing happen to me on my latest build with a 4 post auto type ignition switch(the universal ones from autozone ). It turned out the ignition switch was bad. Every time you turned the key it tryed to start. A quick test with a multimeter showed power to the post as soon as you turned the key one click. Make sure you test your ignition switch. Sometimes cheap switches are bad brand new.

Back