Need Help

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 81 xs650 out for the first time this spring and immediately noticed a problem. The clutch was not engaging until it was all the way out and I was not getting much acceleration. There was a bad oil leak but I have fixed that since and still do not have much acceleration. If i get on the throttle the bike does not accelerate. If i ever so slowly move the throttle I will accelerate. the engine sounds perfectly fine. This past winter I replaced the spark plugs, new blinkers, clutch push rod oil seal, alternator rotor, reg/rec. Im assuming one of these is the causing the new problem that I have. The push rod seal does not leak. I can rev the bike to about 4,500 rpms and still no acceleration, but when I move the throttle very slowly I accelerate, is the same in all gears as well. Also my front sprocket has a small amount of wiggle, is this okay?

The screw in the picture was very lose and I am just wondering if that is common.

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 87
Your clutch is likely slipping.
In the upper left corner ..............Google Custom Search..............type in something like........"Clutch adjustment"..............you should get dozens of threads telling you how to do it.

No the front sprocket should not wiggle,...................torque the nut to 80 ft-lbs.

The bolt in the picture should be torqued to 6 ft-lbs. If you can't do that, then one of the PO's has stripped it, and time to do a helicoil.

Remove the sprocket nut, the special slotted washer, and the sprocket. CLEAN these spotless. The washer should be flat but it's often mangled. You can gently hammer tap it back flat and file a bit if needed so it fits the splines. It is fussy work to keep the washer lined up on the shaft splines while snugging the nut. When the nut is tightened to spec (Use a 36mm socket) then fold one edge of the washer up to lock the nut.

When replacing the clutch rod it's easy to put it in backwards, the reduced end faces out. make sure the ball bearing is in the clutch actuator.

Took my 81 xs650 out for the first time this spring and immediately noticed a problem. The clutch was not engaging until it was all the way out and I was not getting much acceleration. There was a bad oil leak but I have fixed that since and still do not have much acceleration. If i get on the throttle the bike does not accelerate. If i ever so slowly move the throttle I will accelerate. the engine sounds perfectly fine. This past winter I replaced the spark plugs, new blinkers, clutch push rod oil seal, alternator rotor, reg/rec. Im assuming one of these is the causing the new problem that I have. The push rod seal does not leak. I can rev the bike to about 4,500 rpms and still no acceleration, but when I move the throttle very slowly I accelerate, is the same in all gears as well. Also my front sprocket has a small amount of wiggle, is this okay?

Like RG I assume clutch slippage too, but does "no acceleration" mean bogging/hesitation, or engine revving with no speed increase?

Also:

This past winter I replaced the spark plugs, new blinkers, clutch push rod oil seal, alternator rotor, reg/rec.

Battery voltage??

Thanks for all the help so far I will try to work on the bike after work today and yes the battery voltage is good and it means engine revving with no speed increase

Back