Need new advance timing unit

socxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a xs650 and it does not have the ignition unit or timing unit and I am guessing the cams also. Can someone tell me what all I will need to install a timing unit and a ignition unit. And if you can just use the pamco high output kit to solve this issue.

Thank ahead.

Just re-read your post. Depending on the year, as apt3 said, Mike's has what you need and the high output kit should do it.

Do the cams go under the advance unit and the ignition system. this is what i found when I removed the covers

Attachments

• IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 74
What cams? Get a manual and do some studying. You don't have a clue what you're looking at or talking about. What you found under your covers is as it should be on a 1980 model. You have an electronic ignition which means no points, points plate, advance rod, or advance unit. You may have a complete working ignition but you just don't know it, lol.

The whole idea of this site is to help people that can help themselves but run into trouble. As 5twins says get a manual, do some research by looking in the tech menu here, (in the orange tab on this page), and using the search engine at the top left and right of this page.

Give as much information about your bike as you can including, what model bla bla bla because the more info the easier it is to get the problem solved.

Pregrid gave you a link that went to the wrong page in the right area, if you had had a bit of a look around you would have found THIS.

Online manual and parts file.

Do you have any of the electrical for your engine? The stock ignition for that year fires off pick ups located on the stator and the LH end of the crank shaft. Remove the 5" cover with two screws to see the pick ups. Two other pieces are needed, a TCI a 3"x4" square black plastic box with a 6 wire connector, and the ignition coil that fires both plugs, that's all you need to run it. If it all works I would stick with that. If you have pieces missing or they don't work then a Pamco is a good way to go.

View attachment 17538
The larger gray/black plastic unit is the pick up.

Ya could probably change that to a point system ignition--Your yr model
The sizes (shafts & spline-ing) are probably pretty much the same or easy enough to swap around--

Would maybe just go with a good coil & plug until you're sure whats BAD BAD

View attachment 17789

I would maybe just pull it all down & clean the junk out of the trunk.

See that black stuff--gotta go

bearing seals look good though--

Motorcycle, lawnmower, tractor, 18 wheeler, weed-eater, car, truck, & blah blah etc all pretty much the same

You'll get it

Take a loook at them & before too long you'll see the similarities

Back