Need new rubber for restored XS2 650

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been going through the forum and am looking for specific opinions on good tried and true tires for a original 1972 XS2. It has the original Dunlop Gold Seals still on it. Good tread as the bike only has 6,000 miles on it. Side wall cracks however. I want to replace them.

What works for size and brand. I am not partial to any brands. I have heard good things about Avon, Conti's, Metzler and Dunlop.

Thank you.

Most modern radial rubber is good for what the XS will put through them. I've mostly used Avons and they've been good, with positive feedback even when pushed hard. Choose the right size for your rims and after that, it's just down to personal opinion.

Some people I know just select their choice based on the tread pattern!

I have been going through the forum and am looking for specific opinions on good tried and true tires for a original 1972 XS2. It has the original Dunlop Gold Seals still on it. Good tread as the bike only has 6,000 miles on it. Side wall cracks however. I want to replace them.

What works for size and brand. I am not partial to any brands. I have heard good things about Avon, Conti's, Metzler and Dunlop.

Thank you.

Hi Stone Hands,
no, you need to replace them.
BTDT. Scared myself shitless.
Tires that old will be as hard as a rock and have hardly any grip left in them even if they look perfect.
I've mostly run my Heritage Special on Bridgestone Spitfires, mostly because they were locally available at a better bargain than other makes.
Now that I'm operating the bike as a sidecar tug, I ain't so fussy. So long as it holds air, it's good.

My exrience with offroad and MX is that no premium brand Dunlpp, MAXXIS ETC amounted to bad juju. Chinese tires were like riding on grease. It may be fine on the road but I would not trust anything outside Dunlop Conti, Avon, Metzler, Michelin and Pirelli.

Back