Need shock recommendations - Radian swingarm XS650

glaswerks

XS650 Newbie (Still a newbie)
Reaction score
Thanks for your help in advance.

I am in the process of resto modding a 77 XS650 into a cafe racer.

I have a radian swingarm I will be using as part modification and looking for recommendations for shocks for this combination.

From what I could find, seems that 14" eye to eye is about the norm. Looking for source recommendations. Spring rates etc. My butt is about 200 lbs.

Thanks,

Gary

I would call 3M at 650Central. Explain the particulars of your situation, including your weight, and he will probably know just what you need. 14" is a little long compared to what most of us run on a stock swingarm (13"-13.5") but maybe the shock mounts on the Radian arm are farther back and require this? If they are then a 14" would probably give about the same ride height as 13"-13.5" on a stock arm. You might want to measure this on both arms (from swingarm pivot to shock mount) and have this info handy in case 3M questions your request for 14" shocks.

radian%20swingarm%20002.JPG

The shock mounts should probably be moved so they are in the same plane as the top shock mounts.

I bought some Triumph Thruxton shocks/springs recently, but still have to install them. Another board member used them on his XS with a Radian arm. They are roughly 14 3/8 long eye to eye. I'll have to measure to be exact. With Omar's seat piece/taillight/license plate mount, and Red Wing 13.5 eye to eye {again I have to measure} the tire would hit the license plate underside, and that was even after I bent the plate to a flatter angle. If Pregrid see's this, he can chime in. I think he went to a 14.25 shock, and he didn't even have the Radian arm.

trhuxshocks.jpg

I'm curious about your retrofit with this swing arm.. whats your method of opening up the swingarm axle slots? stock xs650 axle is 20mm i think and radian is 17mm. I have one also..haven't gone through with fitament yet.

I had a machine shop open the axle adjusters and the alignment plates to fit a 20mm axle. I used a longer CB750 axle and had more threads cut to use it on the Radian arm. I filed the axle slots on the Rad arm for the bigger axle to fit through.

20mm Axle

51/64" = 20.240mm

You can grab a 51/64" drill bit on ebay to your door for less than $15.00

Since the Radian swingarm is longer and wider, the shock mounts will line up farther outboard if you use the stock ones. I shaved mine off and bought new shock mounts from Cheney Engineering. They have 4 holes for adjustability, and you can place them further forward to take advantage of your 13.5 shocks. Just the ticket for a tracker.

Since the Radian swingarm is longer and wider, the shock mounts will line up farther outboard if you use the stock ones. I shaved mine off and bought new shock mounts from Cheney Engineering. They have 4 holes for adjustability, and you can place them further forward to take advantage of your 13.5 shocks. Just the ticket for a tracker.

Are these the ones?

P-ShockMount.jpg

Did you weld them on? I'm curious about how you positioned them fore and aft.

On my SR, I'm running 13.5" shocks with the mounts on the Radian arm moved up about an inch. This puts the shock angle at about 15 degrees and the swingarm at about -3 degrees with me on it (I'm a 155lbs).

Are these the ones?

P-ShockMount.jpg

Did you weld them on? I'm curious about how you positioned them fore and aft.

Yes those are the ones.
I haven't welded them on yet, not sure yet which shocks I'm going to run. If you have you're shocks, just bolt them up and set them on top of the swingarm to mock up. I want to keep my shocks relatively vertical, not too much forward lean.

Has anyone given any thought to using the shocks from a Honda CR250M Elsinore? I had a 73 Elsinore (one of the first in California) and those old Showa shocks were pretty good and look cool. They are 14.25" eye to eye.

Not sure if you could ever find a rebuild kit for them.

I used Scrambler shocks on mine but not with the Radian swingarm.

They feel pretty good but may be a little stiff. I would guess its because the Scramber is a heavier bike but for the money ($40) I am satisfied with them.

DSCF0292.jpg

I have been also looking at the Progressive Suspension and Ikon shocks. I loved the old Koni's and it appears that Ikon is the new Koni.

Lot of 14.25" PS shocks on flea bay, ranging about $230.00 a pair. The Ikons are about 2x that price. I like the looks of the Progressive 970 series, but not for $1000.00.

Would really like to have something that externally adjustable for dampening.

Ok well I ended up going new with a set of Progressive 412's 14.25" eye to eye. 70/120 spring rate.

I will post how they work out.

I have 105/150 on my stock Special. I'm 230# and the laden sag is excessive. Springs can be swapped easily enough if necessary.

Back