Need some help. Clutch will not engage??

PatDoody

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a project bike I took over. Ive had it for about a year but only heard the motor run for the first time a week ago. Ive yet to ride it because the clutch will not engage. If I mash the thing into a gear and pull the clutch I cant move the bike. Then I have to try to find neutral again to move it. Ive put a new cable on adjusted the worm gear. Tried the old cable. Adjusted the worm gear.

I pulled the right cover off today. The clutch is moving . Today I tried the trick to drill another hole in the worm gear lever arm to get more throw. It seemed to work as far as more throw, but didnt fix my problem.

I havent pulled the clutch pack off yet, I can see the levers moving behind the clutch pack when attempting to find a gear. Is there something I am missing that I should check that might be seized.

I also tried the trick of pulling that 7/8's cap off and stretching the spring. Is the spring supposed to have a hole to go down into? What ever that is the spring pushes against is about flush with the top of the case and doesn't appear to move.

When you pull the lever and the pressure plate moves out can you move the bike? if not the clutch plates are stuck together. Tie the lever back to the bars, then rock the bike back and forth can break the plates loose.
What 7/8 cap? If you mean the neutral detent that won't effect the clutch, it just make the shift drum stay in neutral better. It can also help in finding neutral by not skipping over the detent as easy.
Leo

Leo I have the right side cover off. I can move the plates by hand they dont seem stuck to anything. Everything looks clean in there? I pulled the clutch off I am going to clean every thing up and put it all back together and see if that helps.

Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. I was riding the bike, had dinner, and went to put it away. That is when the problem occurred. I rode it about half a block to the stop sign and that is when I had the problem.

Old thread but to expand on XSLEO's advice I had the same problem and rocking it back and forth didn't work at first. I left the clutch lever tied back overnight and rocked it this morning. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Back