Need some help...engine spitting/misfiring

garykohl2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok its a 80 XS650 with pods and exhaust. It is jetted right and does not have the cheap pods on it. Now for my problem......
It has been running great and strong through the whole rpm range. I rode yesterday with no problems. Today I fired it up and it seemed ok except it was popping out one exhaust pipe. I rode about 3 miles and it just didn't run well and was popping on decel out the one pipe pretty badly. I turned around to come back home and it progressivly got worse and acts like it is running on one cylinder and it is spitting and popping like crazy. I was worried that it might not make it back home. It almost sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel (like it is running out of gas) I pulled the carbs and the bowls had pleanty of gas, all the jets were clean, and I couldn't find any problems at all. I then checked the battery and it is fully charged so I know that isn't the problem.
What else should I look at? Would the ignition system just take a dump and make it run like that? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

You say it's jetted right. Does that mean original jetting, or did you re-jet for your pods and non-stock exhaust?

Is the exhaust sealed? Popping on decel can be a sign of an exhaust leak or a lean condition. Maybe the header connection is working itself loose.

You say it's jetted right. Does that mean original jetting, or did you re-jet for your pods and non-stock exhaust?

Is the exhaust sealed? Popping on decel can be a sign of an exhaust leak or a lean condition.

It was already done when I bought it but it was running great with no popping at all ever since I bought it and I ride it daily. Thats why I say it is jetted right.

*UPDATE* I decided to try something......... I started the bike and let it idle. While it was idleing I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb that wasn't really running right and it immediately came to life then died back out. I gave it a little throttle and it was like it was on one cylinder so I sprayed the carb again and the cylinder came to life again then died out again :(. After several good sprays of carb cleaner she came to life and sounds great again and stayed that way. I'll ride her tomorrow and see how she does and let you all know. Sounds like she may have picked up some trash and that was my problem. We'll see tomorrow :)

I took the carbs off today and pulled all the jets and gave it all a good cleaning. I reinstalled the carbs and she runs great again with no problems. I guess she had just picked up some dirt or something that clogged a jet or passage way. Anyways she is running great again. Thanks for the help :)

I had one cylinder start acting up on mine a couple summers ago. I pulled and cleaned the carbs and even though I found no obvious debris or plugged up parts, it ran good again afterwards. I guess sometimes you just can't see the problem but it's in there.

Glad you found it.
I was going to suggest checking your charging system.
On my 81 when the charging system was not charging as well as it should the battery voltage would drop.
Once it dropped to about 12 volts it started acting up, at around 11.5 volts one cylinder would cut out, but still take throttle, at 11 volts it wouldn't take throttle and hardly run.
Now with the rotor replaced it runs great.
It even surprized me the other day. I went out to start up the bikes and ride them some. The Harley started about as usual after setting a month or so.
I had the charger with me because I new the Honda don't like 50 degree temps let alone high 30's. Put the key in the 81, turned the petcock to prime, pulled the choke, turned it on, pushed the start button, first revolution of engine was slow, second picked right up, started on third revolution. It has set for maybe two monthes. I was surprized. I have no idea how old this battery is, it was in the bike when I got it almost two years ago.
The Honda I had to use my spare car battery and jump start it.
Had short ride on the 81, it was great to be able to ride, even the 15 miles. Short but sweet.
Leo

Last edited:
Well, thanks, but I really wasn't any help.
Glad you got it working.
Did you happen to make a note of the jet sizes when you had them out?

Back