need some help with carb, not fitting

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
My carbs will not fit, i cannot get it past the down bar on the frame? anyone else had trouble sliding it in there? maybe i'm doing something wrong ill take some pics thanks again guys, this build is going to be the death of me.:banghead:

I always leave one intake rubber off. This lets you slip the carb in as a unit. Then leave the carb unit down on the engine, and install the rubber intake mount. Now you can plug your carbs into the intakes. Also make sure the plate between the carbs is mounted the right way from front to back. Hope this helps, I hope this is what you were asking.

..... and the acorn cover nut on the cam chain adjuster?

I'm jus going by the picture. You are trying to fit the bell end to the intake manifolds.
The other end, the one you see the throttle plate not the slide, goes into the intakes.
If it won't fit you may have the wrong intake manifolds. Even with the correct pieces going together it is a tight "formed" fit. A lip/land goes into the groove. I lightly grease with CV joint lube to make it easier.
I've never had to remove the intake manifolds for 38's (unlike 34's which are longer) but like 5twins said the big acorn nut on the cam chain adjuster has to come off.

you can see here what i'm talking about

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See that plate you're holding with the 4 screws holding the carbs together? Taking that off gives you a lot more room to work with. Also, for reference, the two fittings where the fuel lines or the single T between the carbs goes to the rear.

See that plate you're holding with the 4 screws holding the carbs together?

I'm pretty sure that is mounted backwards in the picture. It should be turned around.
Shallow recess to the front, deep recess to the rear.
Choke and throttle linkage go on the left. Throttle plate to the front. Slide side to the rear.

sitting on the bike, install them from the left side.
take off acorn locknut for the cam chain adjuster,
turn the choke on (pushed down. gives a bit more room)
slide the carbs in below the rubber carb holders.

Like stated before take the carb brace off, the acorn nut on the bottom of the backside of the engine and it should go in provided you turn them around. It's frustrating but once you do it a few times it's not too hard.

The manual isn't real clear on carb removal and install. But the carb/fuel section has some good drawings showing how the air and fuel travel through the carb.
Turn your butterfly shaped brace around first. Then put some sort of measuring device, ruler, string with knots in it what ever and measure the intakes and throttle body. Like I said it could be you are trying to fit 38's into 34 intakes.

Did the carbs come on the bike? Or are you fitting pieces out of a box?

Recyclebill, I think slackjaw thinks we are trying to have a bit of fun with him.

I take the spigots off every time. It's just easier and I get to check them over.

With my 38's, I take off the camchain adjusted nut, the throttle cable holding bracket from the carbs top, and remove the dip stick. With those 3 items gone, the carbs go right in!

I think he's gonna have to pull the manifolds (yes, both) because installing the carbs normally like most do is beyond his capabilities. Just read his wheel thread and you'll see what I mean, lol.

It took me a few go rounds to get it down....

Back