neutral light install

XS Man 2727

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
has anyone that changed there stock handlebar set up and lost there speedo and light switches that has installed an neutral light somewhere ? finding neutral on my bikes seems to be such a task and as I have read a lot of people have had the same problem, I was thinkin if I had a little accessory light if I could rig up a neutral light so everytime I m coming to a stop and need to roll to a stop in neutral I can find it when the light lights up.. anyone else has done this or something similar and or better please post pics and let me know how the install is ,, thanks

Super easy. Wire the light in line to the terminal on your engine case. When your in neutral you will ground the circuit and the light will turn on.

(Power)--------(Neutral Light)---------(Ground)

I used a little piece of aluminum from an old Grumman milk van to house my LEDs and headlight switch. It bolted right up to existing threaded holes in the top tree.

I like k-four.net for easy ready to wire 12v LEDs and sealed switches.

6841428473_85bc7972da_b.jpg

Shot from the side:

Wm6WXl.jpg

i'm probably going to put my neutral light (got a smallish LED) into the headlight bucket. any tips for drilling that hole? I'm nervous because I'm new at this and the bucket is round, so won't that affect how the light bolts in? Stupid, I know.

how do you wire in the neutral light on a custom harness? i tried using the neutral detent on the case but i could never get it to work... and i was in neutral...

I wired a small led neutral light in my dash, my bike is a work in progress but it's the small green light below and right of the volt meter. I also used the neutral ground switch on my electric starter to help avoid starting it in gear and having it hit the ground.

fiveohindc.... I'm no expert but whenever I'm nervous about drilling I start with a small pilot hole and work my way up.

Here's my dash, the bike and just for the heck of it since blackbetty mentioned old Grumman milk vans here's mine, I intended to use it for a hauler but the closest short track is 150 miles from home and I just pull the small trailer with the nissan.
photo_zps63db396a.jpg

photo_zpscd93c5a0.jpg

photo-24.jpg

Back