neutral wire location

StaticStance

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im building a hardtail bobber and wiring the bike myself, im a newbie at wiring to this may be a dumb question but where is the neutral light wire come off the motor? if someone could post up a picture that would be great. I conducted a search already to see if I could find something but came up empty handed. Thank you in advance for any help.

You've probably looked at and didn't realize it. Go to left side of the engine. Squat down and look at the transmission case behind the jugs. It's right on the flattish area of the case, or in other words straight down below the LH carb.

In the stock wiring a brown wire fed power to the neutral light. From the neutral light a sky blue wire ran down to the neutral switch. When the tranny is in neutral the switch grounds the sky blue wire, lighting the neutral light.
A bit more on the switch, it has one of two ways to attach the wire. One is a tiny screw that holds the wire, the other is a spring and washer around a post, push the spring and washer down to see a hole through the post, slip the wire in the hole and release the spring and washer to hold the wire.
Leo

Saw the post, but I have a question. Can I eliminate the switch? I read something about the alternator needing it. The post didn't explain why, just what used it. My book doesn't even mention it as far as I know.
Getting to the point of first fire, need all the help I can get.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't see why not. If you look at some of the simplified diagrams many don't use the neutral switch. Good question though.

You don't need to run the neutral switch if you don't want to. That switch is only a ground when in neutral does nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 125
You can choose not to wire the switch but you can't just remove it. That would leave a large hole in the top of the tranny.
I don't know how hard it would be to find a plug for the hole. I would just leave the switch in place.
Leo

Back