new 1976 xs650 project!

The rebuild kits aren't really needed or recommended. In particular, the kits for your carbs from Mike's contain the wrong jet sizes. You can usually get by just re-using all the stock parts.

Yea that's what I read also that some parts may not fit. I do need the bowl gasket though. Am I able to order just that and clean the rest. The stock jets ect look OK just need some carb cleaner. And should I get the over flow and gas lines from a local auto store? Or do they sell them for the carbs.

Yea that's what I read also that some parts may not fit. I do need the bowl gasket though. Am I able to order just that and clean the rest. The stock jets ect look OK just need some carb cleaner. And should I get the over flow and gas lines from a local auto store? Or do they sell them for the carbs.

Hi xs65071,
yes, you can get the float bowl gasket as a separate item.
They are in MikesXS catalog for one.
And XS650 carbs have to be seriously squeaky clean inside or they won't work right.
My choice for fuel line material is Tygon. Buy it at bike shops or small engine shops.

Okay thanks, I will get back to you guys when I get the parts and get it running. I have been polishing and cleaning alot of stuff also will most pics of progress on the bike. Looks like the po left a full tank of gas tank is a little rusty not the worse I've seen though. Petcocks don't let fuel out.

So cleaned the carbs and tried starting it. Was just cranking but not starting then forgot left the plug wires off. Soon as I hooked them back up fired right up engine sounds great only did a quick carb clean so still need to complete clean them. Starts first kick also!

Bike is cleaning up nice. Just have to fix the front brakes finish the carbs and clean the tank previous owner left full tank of gas in there for a while. Then I might have it painted the factory French blue or the red color for this year depending on cash.

IMG_20160415_153809_zpsp9sq4scj.jpg

IMG_20160415_153616_zpsa178nr5h.jpg

IMG_20160415_153455_zpsz7azvij5.jpg

IMG_20160415_153449_zpslopy4olq.jpg

IMG_20160415_152712_zpsxqtkw9l8.jpg

I may be parting the bike out its up for sale now. I'm wanting to build a bobber and haven't got any interested in selling it so will be parting out the parts I am not using to build a bobber.

It's not my first choice I'm still trying o sell it local I'm going o wait and see. I want to sell it so I can get a better candidate bike to chop up. I always end up with to nice of bikes to chop.

Back