New 1976 Yamaha XS500

kawasaki kdx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 XS500 that I can't get to spark, I put new battery and new plugs! This fuse box(left pic) is confusing that is in it, so I bought a used one out of salvage yard(right picture)! Does this have to be hooked up with all fuses good for this to get spark? I can't find any info on this! The one on right is out of a 750XS which they said would work!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 38
There are no leads going to it, so no, there doesn't need to be a fuse there.

Do you know what type of ignition it has? Points? TCI (Transistor)?

If points, they could be corroded or not gapped correctly.

If TCI, it could be a bad module or corroded connections.

What condition are the plug wires in? How are the connections at the coil(s)?

The '76 XS500 had points (right end of crank). The red/white wire going to the coils should have 12VDC (battery voltage) with key on, the orange & grey wires should have continuity to ground when the points are closed

There are no leads going to it, so no, there doesn't need to be a fuse there.

Do you know what type of ignition it has? Points? TCI (Transistor)?

If points, they could be corroded or not gapped correctly.

If TCI, it could be a bad module or corroded connections.

What condition are the plug wires in? How are the connections at the coil(s)?
There WERE leads going to the fuse box pic 004, #2, they were broken off and somebody wired some other fuse holder with fuse in it! The fuse box should look like the one on right pic there! This is points ignition, I have feeler gauge but I don't have the specs on gap yet! Thank you!

There WERE leads going to the fuse box pic 004, #2, they were broken off and somebody wired some other fuse holder with fuse in it! The fuse box should look like the one on right pic there! This is points ignition, I have feeler gauge but I don't have the specs on gap yet! Thank you!
.014"

As long as the leads are connected via a fuse, I wouldn't worry about it for now. Clean and gap the points and then pull a plug, ground it to the bike, crank it and see if you have spark.

As long as the leads are connected via a fuse, I wouldn't worry about it for now. Clean and gap the points and then pull a plug, ground it to the bike, crank it and see if you have spark.
Well, I should have did this BEFORE I bought, So I took spark plugs out, held throttle wide open and got 65PSI in each cylinder! Lots of nice parts on this bike so it's going up for sale! Thanks!

Back