New build... 1st & 5th Gear tough to find

mvonwahlde

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my project continues...I have finally got it running, sort of (thanks PAMCOPete!)
Clutch has been adjusted exactly as per manual and checked via the other similar versions of adjustment on this site (slack cable, adjust in phillips, back off 1/4, tighten cable). But here I stand: Neutral is super easy to find. First is tough to get down into. Fourth is sometimes difficult. Fifth? It's gotta be in there somewhere, but I've never found it.

This was a basket case, but supposedly the bottom end was rebuilt. I know tat since it wasn't my rebuild it could be anything: that the shift forks might be bent, but is there anything else that I could have messed up in the installation of the clutch or the covers? The pushrod is the single. I have the two ball bearings (one in the cover, one in the series)....

Any suggestions? I'm sure it's probably something I'm simply overlooking.:banghead:

You might want to check for play in the shift shaft. I was having problems getting into fourth and fifth after I put mine back together and it turned out that I had put the washer on the wrong side (clutch side) of the shift shaft when I put it back through the crankcase.

I Opened up the right side and took the clutch off and was able to see that the shift mechanism wasn't lining up with the shift star properly. By moving the washer to the shifter side of the case, just under the circlip, it made everything line up as it should. Shifts great now.

There are a couple of threads on the forum about play in the shift mechanism causing problems as well. You might try a search and see if you find them. I don't recall where exactly they were, but I got enough info for my fix from this site.

are you riding the bike, or just playing around in your shed? if the later, wait till the former before worrying. cheers

Posted via Mobile

I am going to time the beast tomorrow and then give it a run, but I want to make sure I'm not going to really eff the thing up. I figure that these things should be figured before running it... my days as a bicycle mechanic still point me towards getting it right the first or second time, before it tosses me or I really mess something up.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm not doing this with a bunch of wrench monkees sitting around me, and I'm plugging away at it when I have a few minutes... two little kids and 1.5 jobs make it a little difficult. Thanks!

so does that mean that your trying to change gears on the road or in the shed? same as a push bike, gearbox will work better rolling down the road :cheers:

Posted via Mobile

ok, so today i got it running, smoothed the timing a bit (still not quite right but thats for next week...

Got it into first and tried to run it down the street and it would just die the second i would start letting out the clutch... probably a different issue, but that's where I'm at now...

idle is still jumping... http://randomjuggernaut.tumblr.com/post/12381794573

Isnt finding the gears easier when the bike is rolling rather than up on its stand.
I cant find any gears except nuetral when its on the stand, but if I spin the back wheel, I can engage the gears. I really dont plan on riding my bike any,

Back