Really tough clutch

So apparently the nylon is nonexistent for the worm gear what other choice do I have to replace the nylon area. Other then mikes setup I don’t want to dick around with something just put it in and ride

Read the link I have above. 5twins has mentioned a few options / searches for different bikes that use that same part. I just purchased a complete assembly for a XS 360 (worm gear 1L9 assembly).

Someone made mention of the XS750/850 triple worm recently and I've been looking at them on eBay. They appear to be all metal and rotate on balls. Don't know if they'll swap (fit) into the 650 cover but if they do, maybe this is the solution to our problems?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-...ash=item4b4fa36c0e:g:fFMAAOSwxu5ZKY1D&vxp=mtr

My dealer has a 750 triple sitting in his boneyard. I may have to "liberate" it's worm if it still has it, lol.

5twins, yes, that was Rasputin's thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/clutch-release-mechanism.53008/

I acquired one. It rotates in the wrong direction, and has a *really* steep pitch. As delivered, the ball retention sleeve (with the little holes) has crunched retainer fingers, restricting ball movement, and forces the worm to 'slide' over the balls, instead of rolling. An interesting design, causing some daydreaming...

Ahhhhhh, yes. Another version! Good catch. I just bought that one you listed. Ya know, for research. There's another complete assembly available, found with "XS850 clutch actuator".

Yamaha 1J7-16340-01-00 - Clutch actuator assembly, 77-79 XS750, 80-81 XS850

Last edited:
You get a little "bonus" if you buy a whole cover. That little cap cover over the adjuster screw, even though it's black, is listed as the same one used on the 650. But a black cap cover might look good on a polished up 650 side cover.

Do let us know how this pans out. First hurdle of course, is whether it will swap and bolt right into the 650 cover. Next hurdle I guess would be the pitch, but if it's steeper that should provide more travel and clutch plate separation, but hopefully not too much. Steeper pitch would probably also mean a stiffer lever pull but maybe not with the worm riding on balls instead of full contact between the "swirls". Then there's the question of how it's "clocked", but from the pics it looks about right.

You get a little "bonus" if you buy a whole cover. That little cap cover over the adjuster screw, even though it's black, is listed as the same one used on the 650. But a black cap cover might look good on a polished up 650 side cover.

Another good tip.

...Do let us know how this pans out. First hurdle of course, is whether it will swap and bolt right into the 650 cover. Next hurdle I guess would be the pitch, but if it's steeper that should provide more travel and clutch plate separation, but hopefully not too much. Steeper pitch would probably also mean a stiffer lever pull but maybe not with the worm riding on balls instead of full contact between the "swirls". Then there's the question of how it's "clocked", but from the pics it looks about right.

Yes. If it looks viable, with minimal fuss, will probably do a new thread on this. Looking closely at the listing's pics, the ball retainer sleeve's retention tabs have sufficient end-spacing to actually allow the balls to 'roll', a good sign. Don't see many of those out there, might be difficult to find later?

Put together a parts pic:
XS750-ClutchActuator.jpg

I had a decent clutch pull for a few years, and then over time it got harder and harder to the point where it was not fun riding the bike. I don't know how I failed to do the three most basic things for so long, but essentially 1) Oil the cable. I use standard oil w/funnel I made out of tinfoil...let it soak up and sit through the night. 2) checked my cable routing...although I had an ok route, I has switched up my handlebars and kind of added a tight turn without thinking about it. I re-routed the cable back to where it would have the most easy and wide radius turns. 3) Adjusted the clutch at the worm-gear and then at the lever... All three of these literally changed my pull to what is almost a two finger pull now. So simple to do and yet so effective.

Before getting a new actuation worm gear...I notice in your pic that the cable is coming from the left side. So I have to assume there's got to be a tight bend coming off of the lever... then down towards the left side of the engine and then a tight turn again to get to the actuator... If you could route the cable from the lever, across the triple trees and then down under the tank (Through the tank mount from the right side) and then between the carbs to the actuator perch, I think you'll find the cable to be a lot smoother. I've found that if you can route the cable so that it's almost perpendicular as it comes into the actuator, it's a lot more smooth. With a little oil on the cable, you may be surprised how soft the pull gets.

Good luck

FC61E49C-ECA0-499D-90F5-2AA4F2FDDDF0.jpeg
So it actually doesn’t have much of a bend at the bars. I tore the worm gear assembly apart and cleaned every bit of grease off every part of the worm gear assembly regreased readjusted and pull got a lot better

Attachments

• BE992D2B-C9DC-4854-8168-BE3C0588740B.jpeg
    BE992D2B-C9DC-4854-8168-BE3C0588740B.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 122
Old, used ones are pretty grungy.
371-16396-00a.jpg

Spend quality time cleaning up the nylon body.
371-16396-00b.jpg

Especially important is the 'thrust' side of the nylon threads. I've found years of ground-in grit on those surfaces, requiring mucho diligence with a brush and soap to swab them clean and slick...

Lanesplitters are great plus like the shape of the bars. An I love my vision definitely a caddy for long trips with the ole lady. When it gets chilly just turn the heater on loved the cross country and the vision when they came out with them.

Last edited:
Does it have heated seat like the cross country touring? When I first saw the cross country in white I fell in love. Can't get any better with a unit constructed engine....bulletproof!

Yep seat, handgrips the engine is clunky and loud but bulletproof having that 6 speed with just over 100hp stock they scoot right along effortlessly

Yes, you really have to keep up on the whole clutch activating "system". Keep the cable well oiled, keep the worm well greased, grease the hand lever pivot and where the cable ball end fits into it. It's common for the lever pivot hole to wear egg shaped due to lack of lube.

Back