New Build Thread - XS650 Swingarm Chop-Shakeybones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS6...818429?hash=item215c430b3d:g:nrgAAOSwQrJbYnEN
s-l225.webp

I just checked out the Visual Impact one. Looks like a good choice to me.
Agreed. Ordered brat kit and owner was straight up honest with me about a delayed shipment due to his welder being out of commission for awhile due to personal medical reasons. He kept me informed on progress until parts finally shipped, all unsolicited by me. Very good service from Visual Impact.

Well, I finally got tracking and the brat kit is en route and will be here tomorrow. When I get it fitted I will post up some pics and keep this train moving.

That is looking the nuts, Shakey! :rock: Were you planning to stretch the swing arm, or will that be the shocks final resting place? I ask, because that's what I want to do with "The Basketcase" ('75). By stretching and under-bracing the swing arm, it'll have the lines of a rigid, without the pounding.
And what about the supports, at the top of the swing arm/foot peg area? Since the brat kit is so close to that spot, can those supports be removed? It seems like the "floor" (near the pivot) of the swing arm would be a good place to put the battery...

I am not planning on a swingarm stretch. Just a low short bike this time. The final resting place of the shocks are basically what I have shown. Those old rusty ones were just some crap I had laying around for mock up. They new ones are 11" chrome and the angle will actually be a tiny bit more aggressive...but not by much.
I will be running a battery on this bike. I learned a hard lesson trying to run a batteryless system on the bobber build. A 10,000 micro farad capacitor just isn't enough. What is needed is around 30k which is roughly the size of a small and more capable battery so I will be running a battery. I got an idea for the reg rec mounting position from this forum. I saw where a guy mounted it on the starter gear cover so I am gonna try that. The battery itself I believe will live mounted under the seat up out of the way.
I broke down the carbs yesterday. Since I know these carbs are tuned to this engine already I just put them in a sonic cleaner, polished the bowls and diaphragm covers. I painted the bodies gloss white...I am not sure how I feel about this decision. It might have to grow on me??
Anyway, I need to sort the rear brake switch and return spring this evening since those components were part of the passenger peg mounts I removed. But, hey...I got a welder!
Lets see....what else for now? Oh! I am trying to make some exhaust decisions. I will have mild baffles for some backpressure. I will be using the stock headers because the are in fantastic shape but I would like to find some small 45 degree turn ups maybe with like a slash cut turn out. I assume this will be something I am gonna have to bend up. We sprung for a tube bender last week so I will probably be putting that to use to extend my pipes.
I will post up again after I get some more progress.

Brand spanking new in the box is pretty sweet. But, I'm too cheap for that! :laugh: There's a local shop that parts out wrecked motorcycles and snowmobiles, where I could've gotten a pair of VM34's for cheap (I forget now, $70 or $90). You may be able to find such a shop near you. If you don't mind putting used carb's on a 40-something year old bike, you might save a bundle (and be able to put that $$ elsewhere!). Seems like a "bag of" jets shouldn't cost that much, and you can pocket the rest! :cheers: I may go this route if I can't get satisfactory results from rebuilding the CV's on "The Basketcase" Good luck whichever way you go!

Have you considdered 650Central......Go to the left and click on Carburetion
http://www.650central.com/

They also give aftermarket advice for free on your carbs or anything else you buy......

Dime City Cycles are owned by the same company as MikesXS......

Funny how these XS650 specific sites don't know that the XS650 come out with Mikuni cabs and not Kehin

From their site description

Description

Despite what you've been told, that little 300lb gasoline powered love mochine of yours isn't giving you all she's got. If your still running stock Keihin carbs that is

Not a lot of movement due to whiskey, fireworks, the Blue Angels in town and general dirtbaggery from the last 4 or 5 days. I finished filling and smoothing the stock frame gusset areas. I have some beefy 11" shocks en route from the vendor as well as a coil and reg/rec so I can get the locations set for those items.
I need to get cracking on a rear fender and make some decisions there.
In the meantime I gotta replace the "doohickey" on a KLR650 and get that thing back on the road. Getting ansty….

I got some parts today. I got some 11" shorty chrome shocks and a new coil. Single coil double pole. It's kinda confusing because it has two terminals for input which I would assume is from the points but no dedicated power. I am assuming the power gets spliced in before but I havent really looked yet. Anyway I fit up the new shocks and cut some material and tapped threads and welded them to the frame brace under the tank. I found spots for my blinker relay and condenser as well.
More updates to come. Thanks for all the feedback and interaction gents!
Also JImnl get your butt down to the shop one evening
20190709_185731.jpg

Back